£19,000 museum grant to help develop digital exhibitions
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech & Fenland Museum has received a grant of £19,000 following its temporary closure caused by the Covid-19 pandemic.
The money from the Museums Association’s Esmèe Fairbairn Collections Fund has set up the ‘new conversations project’ which will use community volunteers to develop digital exhibitions and reach out to the public in new ways through social media.
Project officer Sarah Coleman said: “Wisbech and Fenland Museum has a fantastic collection and we want to put it out there online to better serve existing audiences and attract more people to engage with it. We’re delighted that this grant will enable us to do that.”
The museum staff have continued to work throughout the Covid-19 crisis, though the building has been closed to the public.
Limited numbers of visitors have recently been allowed for advance-booked events, such as ‘family bubble days’ and the recent Heritage Open Days – but a return to normal Tuesday to Saturday all-day free opening is not yet possible.
You may also want to watch:
Curatorial assistant Sarah Cousins said: “Recent curator-led posts on social media have been a hit. We’ve had some great feedback with VJ day and local photos from the museum’s collection.
“It feels like people are getting behind the museum digitally, following, liking, adding their experiences and memories of the town and crucially adding to the stories of our Fenland.
- 1 Three stores evacuated after suspect 'bomb scare'
- 2 Body found in Wisbech road
- 3 It's a family affair as planners consider five luxury homes
- 4 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
- 5 Turners ‘massively impacted’ and Knowles up pay to hire HGV drivers
- 6 Police warn you may run but you can't hide from us
- 7 Crash driver four and a half times over drink drive limit
- 8 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 9 Victim of ‘joke’ that backfired left paralysed
- 10 Hares hit five, Wisbech win, Whittlesey victorious as Drove triumph
“If you haven’t seen us online yet, take a look.”