Wisbech Rugby Club returned to action for the first time since the tragic loss of their player on October 14, falling to a 38-7 defeat at the hands of Ely Tigers.

Prior to the match, the two sides came together for a minute's silence to honour the passing of Wisbech Rugby Club player Arturas Rudys.

RECOMMENDED READING: Nearly £7k raised for family of rugby player who died on pitch

Unfortunately, the weeks away affected Wisbech players mentally and skilfully as errors hampered their return to action, albeit in treacherous conditions at Downham Road.

The game began with Ely kicking off, with Wisbech unable to secure the high ball and gifting Ely possession deep within the Wisbech half, only some scramble defence kept Ely at bay.

Wisbech Standard: Wisbech hooker Nathaniel Humphreys on the charge.Wisbech hooker Nathaniel Humphreys on the charge. (Image: Wisbech RUFC)

Ely were awarded a scrum and opted to attack to the right, with their backs moving the ball well to find space on the outside to go in untouched for the first try of the game.

Wisbech, like much of the season, spent the next ten minutes like a rabbit in the headlights, unable to capitalise on field position or possession, whilst the hosts took their opportunities well to run in two more unanswered tries.

Wisbech finally had their best spell of the game, working their way into the Ely 22 through a series of penalties and keeping the ball in play, ended up camped on the Ely try line.

MOST READ TODAY: Mini Makers Craft Market to debut at March Library

Then, late into the second half, some industrious work from the forwards, particularly Luke Green, eventually resulted in the one and only veteran Raimondas Vinksna, who was also named Wisbech man of the match, going over, with skipper Jack Malkin converting to put the Men in Red on the scoreboard.  

Following the restart, the heavens opened once again, and with the glimmer of thunder in the distance, the referee, concerned for all's safety, decided to stop the game whilst making all players return to the changing rooms until the storm had passed.

After much persuasion, the match officials reluctantly got the game back under way.

Wisbech Standard: Wisbech and Ely pack down for scrum time.Wisbech and Ely pack down for scrum time. (Image: Wisbech RUFC)

With the conditions now worsening, Ely started playing to the conditions and kicking for field position, which they got much return from.

Fullback Sam Anderson should be noted for his valiant efforts to secure the high balls, but unfortunately, they seem to slip from his grasp, with Ely capitalising on the errors and field position, running in a further couple of unanswered tries.

Wisbech defended well during the game in spells, but the absence of playing really did show, however, the 18 players must all be commended for their effort for the full 80 minutes of the game.

It was never going to be a fast-flowing game, but the men in red competed physically right until the final whistle.

Whilst this is Wisbech's fifth defeat in five games, young members of the team continued to show promise and will take encouragement from their displays ahead of the next game against Ipswich YM at Harecroft Road on Saturday, November 11.

If you would like to donate to Wisbech's Movember page, visit https://uk.movember.com/team/2443795, where you can view the players' attempts to grow moustaches, raising money for Men's Mental Health.