REVIEW: ‘The Girl on the Train’ is an edge-of-your-seat psychological thriller
- Credit: Archant
Packed with genuinely unexpected twists and turns, and compelling, edge-of-your-seat performances, ‘The Girl on the Train’ is a refreshingly intense, psychological thriller.
Though all four of the film’s main characters prove their credentials, it’s Brit actress Emily Blunt who shines most as struggling, alcoholic divorcee Rachel. The way she encourages empathy, at times showing sides of a split personality, is believable, commendable and certainly deserving of award nominations.
Whilst Rachel (Blunt) spends her daily commute fantasising about the seemingly perfect couple who live in a house that her train passes every day, she’s going off the rails. Rachel is tipped over the edge when she sees something shocking happen there and, consequently, becomes entangled in the mystery that gradually unravels itself over the next hour and a half.
In some parts it’s similar to ‘Gone Girl’, but even more sinister - though ‘The Girl on the Train’ tackles mental health, alcoholism and grief with ease.
My only criticism is that Martha (Lisa Kudrow aka Phoebe from ‘Friends’) is slightly underused as Tom’s old boss; especially as she’s the character that ends up unveiling a crucial piece of the puzzle that no one had been expecting.
‘The Girl on the Train’ is now showing at The Light Cinema, Wisbech. For screening times, visit http://wisbech.lightcinemas.co.uk/girl-on-the-train
- 1 'Fantastic, loving, cheeky' 19-year-old killed in motorbike crash
- 2 No balloons plea to death crash motorcycle tribute convoy
- 3 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 4 Teenage motorcyclist dies after BMW crash
- 5 Suspected poachers caught in farmyard raid as cops crackdown continues
- 6 Universal credit households to receive £20 for rising living costs
- 7 Inquest concludes 'quiet and happy' teenager took own life
- 8 Man taken to hospital after 'welfare' concerns
- 9 Former Wisbech mayor Aigars Balsevics charged with rape
- 10 Teenager, 19, on County Drug Lines heroin and crack cocaine charge