Wisbech - town alive with the joys and tradition of its annual Rose Fair with spectacular floats to enthral visitors
- Credit: Archant
Hundreds flocked into Wisbech today for the annual Rose Fair parade; the town was buzzing early as local groups put the finishing touches to their floats.
However missing from the parade this year was the Mayor, Councillor Michael Hill, who had a fall earlier in the week and injured himself.
A town council spokesman said: "He was taken to hospital where he was diagnosed with a broken hip. He remains in hospital for treatment.
"Michael is very sorry that he will not be able to attend Rose Fair as the Mayor. We hope that the good people of Wisbech will join us in wishing him all the best and as quick and full a recovery as is possible."
Deputy mayor Aigars Balsevics was on hand to deputise.
You may also want to watch:
More photos and a fuller report will follow
- 1 Solicitor firm embraces legal sector apprenticeship scheme
- 2 Woman killed and four hospitalised after crash
- 3 Hare coursers handed Criminal Behaviour Orders
- 4 Baby abuse among paedophile’s 290,000 indecent images of children
- 5 Majority of councillors refuse to object to Wisbech incinerator - for now
- 6 Drug dealer who led class A drugs line caught in police sting
- 7 Pair questioned amid probe into catalytic converter thefts
- 8 Men caught with cannabis at village park
- 9 Community orchard to launch next month
- 10 Former mayor begins court battle to retain pub