Wisbech - town alive with the joys and tradition of its annual Rose Fair with spectacular floats to enthral visitors
- Credit: Archant
Hundreds flocked into Wisbech today for the annual Rose Fair parade; the town was buzzing early as local groups put the finishing touches to their floats.
However missing from the parade this year was the Mayor, Councillor Michael Hill, who had a fall earlier in the week and injured himself.
A town council spokesman said: "He was taken to hospital where he was diagnosed with a broken hip. He remains in hospital for treatment.
"Michael is very sorry that he will not be able to attend Rose Fair as the Mayor. We hope that the good people of Wisbech will join us in wishing him all the best and as quick and full a recovery as is possible."
Deputy mayor Aigars Balsevics was on hand to deputise.
You may also want to watch:
More photos and a fuller report will follow
- 1 ‘We are still struggling to cope’: Pet rescuers face ‘horrific situation’
- 2 Family traumatised as their beloved Waffle shot in the face
- 3 £1,000 donation will help bring school swimming pool back to life
- 4 LETTER: Why I quit as an independent to re-join Tories
- 5 Welcome back to the food capital of the Fens
- 6 Hospitalised driver and passenger suffer serious injuries after crash
- 7 Man, 48, dies after Mercedes car overturns in horror ditch crash
- 8 Community order for woman who spat at police officer in 'vile assault'
- 9 Family pay tribute to ‘talented’ father-of-three veteran killed in crash
- 10 Police seize e-scooter as part of action plan following hit-and-run