REVIEW: Laughs for children and their parents as Johnny English Strikes Again
- Credit: Archant
The world’s worst spy returns in Johnny English Strikes Again, but this time the threats are technologically daunting and the villain a billionaire cyber attacker.
Rowan Atkinson is up to his old slapstick tricks, spoofing James Bond brilliantly; delivering purposefully silly humour to laugh out loud effect.
The times have moved on, though, meaning guns come with a health and safety disclaimer while virtual reality is used rather than now-redundant interrogation methods.
Reuniting with long term sidekick Bough (played by Ben Miller), the pair travel to the south of France to stop a potentially dangerous femme fatale who happens to be an actual Russian spy - played by Olga Kurylenko - who could destroy the world with the touch of a button.
Emma Thompson is great, too - especially when giving English a telling off – as a stressed out prime minister who is desperate to be liked and quick to get a high-tech billionaire on her side to increase her millennial appeal…
You may also want to watch:
Putting on his best French accent - and watching English hopelessly fail to take the shell off of a lobster brings to mind Mr Bean - leads to plenty of laughs.
Screwing up every part of the mission he’s assigned and causing havoc at every turn - though having a great time playing with his new modernised gadgets – the latest in the franchise is full of funny set pieces to make children and parents chuckle.
- 1 Photos show grim reality of life on the streets
- 2 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 3 Verdict means former mayor can keep pub
- 4 Speeding car smashes into two vehicles before driving off
- 5 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in radical ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 6 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 7 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 8 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 9 Antiques dealer's collection to be sold at auction
- 10 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
Johnny English Strikes Again is now on show at the Light Cinema in Wisbech. For screening dates, times and tickets visit www.wisbech.lightcinemas.co.uk/johnny-english-strikes-again