REVIEW: Mahershala Ali and Viggo Mortensen Green Book deliver award-worthy, emotive performances in Green Book
- Credit: Archant
Based on a true story, ‘Green Book’ is an emotive, heart-warming tale of an unlikely friendship that, gradually, becomes a delight to watch thanks to two award-worthy lead performances.
Set in 1960s New York, Italian American Tony Vallelonga (played by Viggo Mortensen, ‘Eastern Promises’) is working as a club bouncer in the Bronx but soon finds himself needing a new temporary job, leading him to become a driver for African-American classical pianist Dr. Don Shirley (Mahershala Ali, delivering a performance as good as his role in ‘Moonlight’), who is about to embark on an eight-week tour in the Deep South.
Putting his preconceptions aside, Tony takes the job, accompanying Don at ritzy shows and, at several times, protecting him from individuals who are out for a fight.
It can be a painful watch at times but it gets the message across clearly; the way the film portrays everyday racism that so many were subjected to often leaves a lump in the audience’s throat - especially when things turn physical at a backstreet Kentucky bar.
Moreover, it’s about a gradual changing of attitudes as Tony starts to stick up for Don; and they wind up in county jail when a racist police officer oversteps the mark and gets what he deserves.
You may also want to watch:
At the heart of the movie, though, is the pair’s unlikely friendship - they might come from two entirely different worlds but their award-worthy performances combine to create something that’s compelling and genuinely moving.
For screening dates, times and tickets visit https://wisbech.lightcinemas.co.uk/green-book
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 5 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 6 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 7 Take 10 initiative leaves students ‘buzzing’ about literacy
- 8 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
- 9 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 10 Photos show grim reality of life on the streets