REVIEW: Fisherman’s Friends is a heartwarming tale of staying true to your roots
- Credit: Archant
Like a hot cup of tea on a cold rainy day, Fisherman’s Friends is the heartwarming and quintessentially British movie that the country needs in the midst of the Brexit blues.
Based on a true story, the woollen jumpers, sea shanties, pub quizzes and Cornish accents just add to the charm of this no-frills rom-com musical.
When an out of town music executive arrives from London the differences between their two worlds become apparent pretty quickly.
Tasked with closing a record deal - even though the group of hard-working fishermen aren’t interested in fame and fortune - he soon changes their mind, winning them over with corny lines like “there’s a fisherman in all of us”.
Yearning for the good old days, they sing about old community values and something that we’ve all lost - nostalgic values that the audience can relate to.
You may also want to watch:
The sea shanties are heartening and, of course, at the heart of it all there’s a financial struggle as well as a blossoming romance between the two main characters who stroll along the picturesque and peaceful cliff tops.
Just when everything seems to be going swimmingly, there’s a real gut punch in the final part of the film – but overall it’s a heart-warming hug of a film.
- 1 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 2 Man found dead in March
- 3 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 4 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 5 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 6 Janice launches Slimming World group after losing over two stone
- 7 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 8 County passes funding of new £25m Wisbech school back to the Government
- 9 'Great improvement' - village pond gets a makeover
- 10 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
Fisherman’s Friends is now showing at the Light Cinema in Wisbech.
For screening dates, times and tickets visit www.wisbech.lightcinemas.co.uk/fishermans-friends