Young Wisbech roller hockey stars search for funding after invite to England training camp
A PAIR of young roller hockey stars from Wisbech have been handed the opportunity of a lifetime after they were invited to an England training camp in Portugal.
Jake Findell and Ben Davis, who are both nine years-old, received the national call-up after successful trials. But the youngsters need to raise around �1,000 to fund the trip, which offers a week of intensive coaching.
Jake, a goalkeeper, and Ben both play for Walpole Highway Roller Village Hockey Club in the five-a-side sport, contested on four wheel skates.
The training camp, which will bring together 40 of the brightest prospects from across the country, will see the boys compete against other national teams.
Lorraine Findell, Jake’s mother, said: “The boys did like football but that’s been phased out. It’s all about roller hockey now, which they both really love.
You may also want to watch:
“The camp is a fantastic opportunity. They would have three training sessions a day. They will eat, sleep and breathe roller hockey with national coaches.
“The boys are so excited about it. We are so proud of them and just determined to get them there. It’s something that they can’t miss out on.”
- 1 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 2 Widow of High Court judge, 77, charged with historical sexual abuse
- 3 Pervert filmed himself having sex with girl, 14, and then shared video online
- 4 'Disbelief’ for disability centre after staff member’s scooter is stolen
- 5 Man suspected to have stolen '£300-400' of alcohol in store theft
- 6 Suspected drink lorry driver threw whiskey and wine bottle from cab
- 7 Class B drug factory discovered following British Gas search warrant
- 8 Commuter chaos as van blaze causes miles of congestion
- 9 'Unreasonable behaviour' means Steve must pay council's costs of failed appeal
- 10 Hairdressing student is best of 1,000 after winning national competition
The talented skaters have until February to raise enough money to attend the training camp at Feira in Portugal - where the senior sport often draws thousands of spectators. The boys are looking for sponsors to help meet the cost.
The roller hockey club, located in Mill Road, Walpole Highway, is also searching for sponsorship.