Young Wisbech roller hockey stars search for funding after invite to England training camp
A PAIR of young roller hockey stars from Wisbech have been handed the opportunity of a lifetime after they were invited to an England training camp in Portugal.
Jake Findell and Ben Davis, who are both nine years-old, received the national call-up after successful trials. But the youngsters need to raise around �1,000 to fund the trip, which offers a week of intensive coaching.
Jake, a goalkeeper, and Ben both play for Walpole Highway Roller Village Hockey Club in the five-a-side sport, contested on four wheel skates.
The training camp, which will bring together 40 of the brightest prospects from across the country, will see the boys compete against other national teams.
Lorraine Findell, Jake’s mother, said: “The boys did like football but that’s been phased out. It’s all about roller hockey now, which they both really love.
You may also want to watch:
“The camp is a fantastic opportunity. They would have three training sessions a day. They will eat, sleep and breathe roller hockey with national coaches.
“The boys are so excited about it. We are so proud of them and just determined to get them there. It’s something that they can’t miss out on.”
- 1 Photos show grim reality of life on the streets
- 2 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 3 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 4 Verdict means former mayor can keep pub
- 5 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 6 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 7 Speeding car smashes into two vehicles before driving off
- 8 Antiques dealer's collection to be sold at auction
- 9 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 10 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
The talented skaters have until February to raise enough money to attend the training camp at Feira in Portugal - where the senior sport often draws thousands of spectators. The boys are looking for sponsors to help meet the cost.
The roller hockey club, located in Mill Road, Walpole Highway, is also searching for sponsorship.