Young rugby stars from Wisbech Grammar School play final games in front of thousands
TALENTED young rugby players from Wisbech Grammar School played the final round of their house matches on a grand stage, when they stepped out in front of thousands of fans at the Twickenham Stoop stadium.
The under-13 sides completed their tournament during the interval of Harlequins’ Challenge Cup clash with Italian club side Cavalieri Prato.
In the first-place play-off, Holmes house defeated Sparks and in the play-off for third and fourth places Clarkson defeated Peckover.
Head of boys’ sport Phillip Webb said: “The house matches on the famous Stoop pitch were the highlight of the day for the middle school boys. They thoroughly enjoyed the experience of playing in front of a packed Harlequins stadium.”
Earlier in the day all the school’s rugby sides were in action against the Cardinal Vaughan Memorial School on a ground adjacent to the United Kingdom’s premier rugby stadium at Twickenham.
You may also want to watch:
The 1st XV match was a hard fought contest, with Wisbech Grammar School taking control in the last ten minutes of the second half and notching up a 47-30 win. The school’s 2nd XV held the opposition to a 0-0 draw.
There were wins for the under-14s (27-12), the under-13s (31-0) and the under 12A team (29-7), while the under-15s lost 25-20 and the under-12B side lost 22-12.
- 1 Drug free, drink free BMW driver crashes into wall
- 2 Former mayor Aigars Balsevics must wait for verdict on pub fate
- 3 Former mayor begins court battle to retain pub
- 4 Motorcyclist dies in A141 crash
- 5 A141 closed after motorcycle crash
- 6 Watch the moment E-scooter rider, 16, narrowly misses crashing into bus
- 7 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 8 Body found in Wisbech road
- 9 Bomb scare was a 'hoax' say police
- 10 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled