Year we go!

LEAGUE GAMES NE14 HOCKEY EAST MEN S PREMIER DIVISION B Wisbech Town 1st XI 5 Chelmsford 2nd XI 0 WISBECH eased to their first league win of the year against a side with little ambition. The visitors came to play on the counter-attack, allowing Wisbech lo



Wisbech Town 1st XI 5 Chelmsford 2nd XI 0

WISBECH eased to their first league win of the year against a side with little ambition.

The visitors came to play on the counter-attack, allowing Wisbech lots of possession and a huge territorial advantage.

Brad Apted scored from a short corner and a Matt Levanda goal after an attacking move across the width of the pitch put Town 2-0 up.

Most Read

Apted won and missed a penalty before scoring again after a superb run and pass from Dan Martell.

Martell scored Wisbech's fourth after a scrambled short corner.

Melton completed the scoring with a penalty stroke.

Wisbech visit Bourne tomorrow.


Long Sutton 1st XI 3

West Herts 1st XI 5

A BEN Smith brace gave Long Sutton an early 2-0 lead but the visitor's dominant second-half display ensured victory.

Smith's penalty corner finish opened the scoring and he then added a rasping reverse stick strike.

West Herts pulled one back from a penalty corner but Nick Ellis blasted the hosts into a 3-1 half-time lead.

West Herts were soon back in the game through an unstoppable flick.

As Sutton began to tire, the youthful West Herts side took control with four further goals.



Cambridge University 3rd XI 8 Wisbech Town 2nd XI 0

ANY hopes of the visitors containing their fast, skilful opponents were dashed within the first 10 minutes when the visitors passed the ball around the defenders and finished with ease.

This was only the start of Wisbech's woes as the young university side found the net another four times before half-time.

The few times Wisbech managed to get the ball away the breaks were contained easily.

A tactical change limited the home side to three second-half goals.

Wisbech are at home to Bourne 2nd XI tomorrow at 2.30pm.


Wisbech Town 3rd XI 2

Boston 1st XI 4

WISBECH'S brave fightback was thwarted after their goalkeeper was sent off.

Boston stormed into a 3-0 lead but Wisbech dug in with their Man of the Match, central midfielder Josh Harvey, distributing the ball to Will Pettit, who crossed for Pete Shippey to score.

Josh Harvey quickly added a second with a reverse-stick shot at a short corner. Boston became rattled and Wisbech were slowly gaining the upper hand.

But after the home keeper was dismissed Boston added a fourth.

Wisbech travel to Alford tomorrow.


Wisbech Town 4th XI 3

City of Peterborough 7th XI 1

TIM Atkins scored two and created one to ensure Wisbech victory.

The game started with early fast flowing hockey from both sides.

Peterborough used their pacey wingers well but Wisbech soon stepped up a gear.

Peterborough scored on the counter to go 1-0 up at the interval.

Wisbech started the second half with a fresh buzz.

Tom Peggs scored a penalty stroke after Atkins had forced the ball on to a defender's foot.

Wisbech piled on the pressure and Atkins' brace gave them victory.



City of Peterborough 3rd XI 0 Wisbech Town 2nd XI 2

DESPITE being a player down for the majority of the match, Wisbech ground out an impressive win.

Shelley Jones scored from close range after two minutes.

But Town's Jen Shippey was injured and was unable to continue.

For the rest of the first half the 10 Wisbech players battled valiantly to keep Peterborough at bay, with Steph Hanlon excellent.

A tactical change enabled Wisbech to attack more and Dee Ibrahim scored their second early in the second half.

Wisbech had the better of the second-half chances and few scares at the back.

Heidi Smithee won the Player of the Match award for her energetic display in a fine team effort.

Wisbech visit Newmarket tomorrow.



Rotherham 1st XI 2

Wisbech Town 1st XI 2

(Rotherham won 3-1

on penalties)

WISBECH had several chances to snatch a place in the last eight but lost out after penalty drama.

Luke Smith ran into the circle and smashed the ball into the corner to put Town 1-0 up.

But Rotherham were 2-1 up by the interval.

The second half was incredibly frustrating for Wisbech.

Numerous short corners were wasted and they just couldn't find the net.

Town eventually equalised when Brad Apted and Sam Markille combined, the latter providing a cool finish.

Wisbech missed several chances in normal and extra-time and were punished in penalties.



Long Sutton Mixed XI 4 Newent Mixed XI 5

LONG Sutton bowed to a last-minute goal after an even and enjoyable game.

Fast, intricate passing lead to a sublime opening goal from Long Sutton's Amy Kirkham, who rifled a stunning shot into the top corner.

Claire Taylor then carved her way through the midfield and set up Gary Hales, who finished well.

Newent pulled one back and equalised through a penalty stroke after some great attacking play from both sides.

The introduction of the Ladies 1st XI goalkeeper, Lorraine Wallis, to the left wing lifted Sutton and slick passing allowed Hales to finish from the top of the D.

After the break Newent pressed hard and made it 3-3.

Sutton started to tire but Tom Baguley defended well and Man of the Match Jake Loweth produced some breathtaking saves to keep Newent out.

Jeremy Watt controlled the midfield and presented Sutton with some good chances to go back into the lead.

But Newent took the lead through a penalty corner.

A penalty corner lead to Ben Smith smashing the ball in for 4-4.

In a thrilling climax, Newent won a penalty corner in the last minute which they converted.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter