Wisbech youth rugby teams put in brave performances against strong Spalding sides
YOUNG rugby players from Wisbech’s youth sides learnt valuable lessons during a series of matches away against Spalding last weekend.
A try from Cameron Finlay was the highlight for the under-10s who were beaten twice in their two games against the hosts.
Frank Etherington was named as player of the week for his consistently good performances all season.
The under-8s also put in a battling performance, pushing Spalding close in three narrow defeats.
Sam Howat, Ewan Samways, Fabian Simpson and Jack Fowler scored four tries each, with Ben Wilcox, George Howat and Anton McNab also getting on the scoresheet.
The under-7s recorded the first victory of the day, winning their final game by three tries to one, with a team featuring players as young as five. Earlier games had seen them defeated once, with one draw.
Try scorers were Oliver Mann (2), Joshua Bell, Aneurin Simpson, Billy Nurse and Freddie Riddington.
- 1 Teenager was ‘acting in self-defence’ when stamping on boy’s head
- 2 A47 near Wisbech set to close for seven weekends due to roadworks
- 3 Village shop hit by ram raiders
- 4 Farm shop's green light for outdoor seating and play area
- 5 Partygoer who claimed ADHD caused him to kill jailed for life
- 6 Motorcyclist in serious condition after A142 tractor crash
- 7 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 8 Father and son accused of man's murder set to stand trial this summer
- 9 Sex offender who 'wiped internet history' jailed for breaching court orders
- 10 New dessert shop bids to become 'best in the area'
The club has teams from under-7s to under-17s. Training takes place at the Chapel Road ground on Sundays at 10am. Information about the club can be found at www.wisbechrugby.com