Wisbech youth rugby teams put in brave performances against strong Spalding sides
YOUNG rugby players from Wisbech’s youth sides learnt valuable lessons during a series of matches away against Spalding last weekend.
A try from Cameron Finlay was the highlight for the under-10s who were beaten twice in their two games against the hosts.
Frank Etherington was named as player of the week for his consistently good performances all season.
The under-8s also put in a battling performance, pushing Spalding close in three narrow defeats.
Sam Howat, Ewan Samways, Fabian Simpson and Jack Fowler scored four tries each, with Ben Wilcox, George Howat and Anton McNab also getting on the scoresheet.
The under-7s recorded the first victory of the day, winning their final game by three tries to one, with a team featuring players as young as five. Earlier games had seen them defeated once, with one draw.
Try scorers were Oliver Mann (2), Joshua Bell, Aneurin Simpson, Billy Nurse and Freddie Riddington.
- 1 £150,000 splashpad to open in Wisbech
- 2 Man, 28, dies after truck and lorries crash on A47
- 3 Driver cleared by reason of insanity over death of Louis Thorold
- 4 Painter who captured town before 1978 floods finishes 44 years on
- 5 Man and teenager jailed after carrying out ‘horrific’ homophobic attack
- 6 NHS staff praised for ‘virtually eliminating’ long waiting times
- 7 Arson causes fire to rip through derelict building
- 8 How you can treat and prevent heatstroke in your pets
- 9 Chip shop’s new platter dish ‘The Great Gordon’ tribute to late founder
- 10 Voi trial ‘confuses people’ about illegal e-scooters
The club has teams from under-7s to under-17s. Training takes place at the Chapel Road ground on Sundays at 10am. Information about the club can be found at www.wisbechrugby.com