Wisbech Veterans push star-studded Cannock all the way in National Trophy semi final
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Town Veterans pushed a team stacked with former internationals and national champions all the way yesterday.
They lost 2-1 to Cannock in the National Trophy semi-final.
Wisbech had a few gilt edge chances which were not converted before Jody Betts, from open play, scored on his reverse stick.
Cannock came more into the game with long balls to their forwards but good tackling from Nick Osborn and Nick Overland kept Cannock at bay. However, they scored from a well worked short corner late in the half.
In the second half, Cannock started well but were contained by excellent work, especially from midfielder Mark Littlechild.
You may also want to watch:
The game could have changed had Cannock’s centre forward been red carded for violent conduct.
Soon after, another short corner was awarded and the Cannock captain, who had made more than 200 international appearances, slammed the ball past the goalkeeper.
- 1 Woman claims police officer ‘forced himself’ upon her
- 2 A fiver for a photographic tour of historic Wisbech
- 3 Table tennis club 'bitterly disappointed' to be told to move
- 4 'A crash waiting to happen' say police
- 5 Flytippers target same Fenland road two days in a row
- 6 'Harassment' forces village speedwatch team to close
- 7 ‘Shift well spent!’: Fen Cops target illegal motorists in day of action
- 8 New ditch to relieve flood issues 'more challenging than expected'
- 9 Cafe to shut for good after eight years
- 10 Van overturns after striking Ely’s infamous ‘most bashed bridge’
Wisbech pressed for the equaliser but their efforts were in vain.