Wisbech Veterans push star-studded Cannock all the way in National Trophy semi final
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Town Veterans pushed a team stacked with former internationals and national champions all the way yesterday.
They lost 2-1 to Cannock in the National Trophy semi-final.
Wisbech had a few gilt edge chances which were not converted before Jody Betts, from open play, scored on his reverse stick.
Cannock came more into the game with long balls to their forwards but good tackling from Nick Osborn and Nick Overland kept Cannock at bay. However, they scored from a well worked short corner late in the half.
In the second half, Cannock started well but were contained by excellent work, especially from midfielder Mark Littlechild.
The game could have changed had Cannock’s centre forward been red carded for violent conduct.
Soon after, another short corner was awarded and the Cannock captain, who had made more than 200 international appearances, slammed the ball past the goalkeeper.
- 1 Town road to remain closed following serious crash
- 2 WEIRD NORFOLK: The local shoe shop haunted by a 'one-legged poltergeist'
- 3 Cyclists call bicycle plates and insurance 'unenforceable and unworkable'
- 4 Florida Ice Effect phenomenon could put drivers at risk
- 5 Students in Cambridgeshire receive ‘fantastic’ A-level results
- 6 Charity needs over 200 more volunteer vaccinators across Cambridgeshire
- 7 Head of sixth form at Sir Harry Smith ‘incredibly proud’ of students' A-level results
- 8 Police 'increasingly concerned' for man missing since early hours yesterday
- 9 Man, 28, dies after truck and lorries crash on A47
- 10 £150,000 splashpad to open in Wisbech
Wisbech pressed for the equaliser but their efforts were in vain.