Wisbech Veterans push star-studded Cannock all the way in National Trophy semi final
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Town Veterans pushed a team stacked with former internationals and national champions all the way yesterday.
They lost 2-1 to Cannock in the National Trophy semi-final.
Wisbech had a few gilt edge chances which were not converted before Jody Betts, from open play, scored on his reverse stick.
Cannock came more into the game with long balls to their forwards but good tackling from Nick Osborn and Nick Overland kept Cannock at bay. However, they scored from a well worked short corner late in the half.
In the second half, Cannock started well but were contained by excellent work, especially from midfielder Mark Littlechild.
You may also want to watch:
The game could have changed had Cannock’s centre forward been red carded for violent conduct.
Soon after, another short corner was awarded and the Cannock captain, who had made more than 200 international appearances, slammed the ball past the goalkeeper.
- 1 Rings End A141 closed after three vehicle collision
- 2 Pictures show cars - including Tesco delivery vans - queued at fuel pumps
- 3 Former mayor begins court battle to retain pub
- 4 47-home estate 'beggars belief' says councillor
- 5 Showcase status for Academy
- 6 Former mayor Aigars Balsevics must wait for verdict on pub fate
- 7 Crisis, what crisis? Panic buying at the pumps in Fenland
- 8 ‘From street dog to show champion’ - how Toby rescued his family
- 9 Drug free, drink free BMW driver crashes into wall
- 10 Motorcyclist dies in A141 crash
Wisbech pressed for the equaliser but their efforts were in vain.