Wisbech Veterans push star-studded Cannock all the way in National Trophy semi final
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Town Veterans pushed a team stacked with former internationals and national champions all the way yesterday.
They lost 2-1 to Cannock in the National Trophy semi-final.
Wisbech had a few gilt edge chances which were not converted before Jody Betts, from open play, scored on his reverse stick.
Cannock came more into the game with long balls to their forwards but good tackling from Nick Osborn and Nick Overland kept Cannock at bay. However, they scored from a well worked short corner late in the half.
In the second half, Cannock started well but were contained by excellent work, especially from midfielder Mark Littlechild.
You may also want to watch:
The game could have changed had Cannock’s centre forward been red carded for violent conduct.
Soon after, another short corner was awarded and the Cannock captain, who had made more than 200 international appearances, slammed the ball past the goalkeeper.
- 1 Pervert filmed himself having sex with girl, 14, and then shared video online
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after death of woman in her 70s
- 3 Tory jubilation short-lived in Fenland as they lose control of county council
- 4 Defeated mayor on 'incredible' and 'some truly awful' people he met
- 5 Prison sentence for man who brutally attacked his partner
- 6 Epic escape fail for ‘armed thieves’ who crashed car into ditch
- 7 Food delivery service Deliveroo launches in ‘next couple of months’
- 8 Prime minister to give green light for May 17 Covid-19 lockdown easing
- 9 Villagers 'clap for Dr Nik' to celebrate mayoralty victory
- 10 Suspected drug dealers arrested in Wisbech raid
Wisbech pressed for the equaliser but their efforts were in vain.