Wisbech v West Norfolk derby fails to live up to expectations
London Division Three North East Wisbech 3 West Norfolk 3 DROPPED balls, missed passes and skewed kicks were the order of the day as Saturday s hotly anticipated local derby failed to live up to expectations. An exchange of penalties in the opening quarte
London Division Three North East
Wisbech 3 West Norfolk 3
DROPPED balls, missed passes and skewed kicks were the order of the day as Saturday's hotly anticipated local derby failed to live up to expectations.
An exchange of penalties in the opening quarter was all there was to show for both teams, with Mark Laws slotting Wisbech's score.
You may also want to watch:
There were good bursts from James Napier, Tom Long and John Turner, but it was just one of those days when there was none of the usual fluency in Wisbech's play.
Both sets of forwards worked hard. Adam Preece found himself at hooker and prop Andy McCubbin did well to play after recovering from illness.
- 1 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 2 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 3 Man assaults police officer whilst in possession of drugs on E-Bike
- 4 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 5 Photos show grim reality of life on the streets
- 6 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 7 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 8 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 9 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 10 Watches and electric display box stolen in village burglary
In the backs, Will Pettit tried in vain to ignite the three quarters and Andy Claydon was his usual busy self.
This result leaves Wisbech third but five points off second placed Canvey Island.
Wisbech host Upminster on Saturday at 2.30pm.
Wisbech seconds produced their result of the season, beating top placed Norwich Union 11-7 in the Norfolk League.
Skipper Andy Heighton found himself at prop for the first time this season and also his team's try scorer after Sam Anderson had kick two penalties to in response the Union's first-half converted try.
Wisbech seconds host Watton next week at 12.30pm.