Wisbech Town win again to secure fourth-placed finish
Ridgeons Premier Division: Wisbech Town 2 Wivenhoe Town 1
WISBECH Town secured a fourth place finish in the Ridgeons Premier Division with a home win against Wivenhoe Town today.
The visitors took the lead just inside the half hour mark after a scrappy start to the match but Darren Jimson equalised to make it 1-1 just before the break.
The Fenmen were much improved after the interval with Callum Reed striking the bar twice with two tremendous efforts.
Simon Flanz put Steve Appleby’s side 2-1 in front with a penalty after a Wivehoe player had handled inside his own area.
The win - Wisbech’s fifth in a row - continued the side’s fine form ahead of Monday’s Ridgeons League Challenge Cup Final against Wroxham.
Spenny Larham, the club’s website and programme editor, said: “It’s been a fantastic season - the best season we’ve had since Dick Creasey’s days as manager.
- 1 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 2 Man in his 20s dies after crash in west Norfolk
- 3 Tribute to ‘much-loved’ school worker who died suddenly in Wisbech
- 4 7 places where you can tuck into a carvery in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 6 New March station will 'help people to use petrol and diesel cars less'
- 7 ‘Sudden death’ reported at Nene and Ramnoth School in Wisbech
- 8 Met Office forecast for Cambridgeshire after weekend of mixed weather
- 9 Recap: A47 shut near Wisbech and King's Lynn after evening crash
- 10 Man arrested after 'game of hide and seek' with police dogs and helicopter
“We’re going into the cup final on a great run and we’ll give Wroxham a game. They beat us 4-0 in the FA Vase but the scoreline was quite harsh.
“Callum made his debut against them that day - but he’s now part of the team - and we’ve improved immensely since that defeat.”
• For live updates from Monday’s final at Dereham Town’s Aldiss Park ground follow me on Twitter @GavinCaney.