Wisbech Town shrug off Wroxham setback to thrash Newmarket Town 4-0
WISBECH Town returned to winning ways yesterday with a 4-0 thrashing of struggling Newmarket Town.
The Fenmen bounced back from a 2-1 New Year’s Eve defeat to Ridgeons Premier Division leaders Wroxham with the victory at the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium.
Goals from Ollie Gale, Steven Reid, Nick Davey and a Chris Bacon penalty helped Wisbech reignite their promotion hopes.
The win halted a miserable festive period for the Fenmen, who were beaten 3-1 by Ely City on Boxing Day before losing away at Wroxham.
The Yachtsmen put themselves 10 points clear at the top of the table after holding off a second-half comeback from Wisbech.
Davey’s strike after 69 minutes gave the Fenmen hope of overturning a 2-0 deficit at Trafford Park. But despite a barrage of pressure in the closing stages, Wroxham held out for a vital win.
Fourth-placed Wisbech travel to Kirkley & Pakefield on Saturday.
- 1 'Fantastic, loving, cheeky' 19-year-old killed in motorbike crash
- 2 WATCH: Emotional tribute to honour and remember crash victim
- 3 No balloons plea to death crash motorcycle tribute convoy
- 4 Teenage motorcyclist dies after BMW crash
- 5 Family's questions over Covid death of beloved hospital care worker
- 6 Suspected poachers caught in farmyard raid as cops crackdown continues
- 7 Car travelled wrong way down A1 before triple fatal crash, say police
- 8 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 9 Fenmen 'not far' from turning fortunes round despite second straight loss
- 10 Universal credit households to receive £20 for rising living costs
For more on the Fenmen’s start to the New Year see Friday’s Wisbech Standard.