Wisbech Town shrug off Wroxham setback to thrash Newmarket Town 4-0
WISBECH Town returned to winning ways yesterday with a 4-0 thrashing of struggling Newmarket Town.
The Fenmen bounced back from a 2-1 New Year’s Eve defeat to Ridgeons Premier Division leaders Wroxham with the victory at the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium.
Goals from Ollie Gale, Steven Reid, Nick Davey and a Chris Bacon penalty helped Wisbech reignite their promotion hopes.
The win halted a miserable festive period for the Fenmen, who were beaten 3-1 by Ely City on Boxing Day before losing away at Wroxham.
The Yachtsmen put themselves 10 points clear at the top of the table after holding off a second-half comeback from Wisbech.
Davey’s strike after 69 minutes gave the Fenmen hope of overturning a 2-0 deficit at Trafford Park. But despite a barrage of pressure in the closing stages, Wroxham held out for a vital win.
Fourth-placed Wisbech travel to Kirkley & Pakefield on Saturday.
- 1 Woman, 80, dies following A141 crash
- 2 Both drivers seriously injured after head on crash
- 3 'Rubberneckers' cause second crash trying to view overturned lorry
- 4 Smiles return as bridge re-painting comes to an end
- 5 Developer going flat out to convert former post office
- 6 Covid sweeps across Cambridgeshire as summer wave takes hold
- 7 Village farm buildings targeted in arson attack
- 8 Have you seen Harry Gibson? He's wanted by police
- 9 Two women fighting for life after A141 crash
- 10 Arson arrest after Wisbech blaze
For more on the Fenmen’s start to the New Year see Friday’s Wisbech Standard.