Wisbech Town shrug off Wroxham setback to thrash Newmarket Town 4-0
WISBECH Town returned to winning ways yesterday with a 4-0 thrashing of struggling Newmarket Town.
The Fenmen bounced back from a 2-1 New Year’s Eve defeat to Ridgeons Premier Division leaders Wroxham with the victory at the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium.
Goals from Ollie Gale, Steven Reid, Nick Davey and a Chris Bacon penalty helped Wisbech reignite their promotion hopes.
The win halted a miserable festive period for the Fenmen, who were beaten 3-1 by Ely City on Boxing Day before losing away at Wroxham.
The Yachtsmen put themselves 10 points clear at the top of the table after holding off a second-half comeback from Wisbech.
You may also want to watch:
Davey’s strike after 69 minutes gave the Fenmen hope of overturning a 2-0 deficit at Trafford Park. But despite a barrage of pressure in the closing stages, Wroxham held out for a vital win.
Fourth-placed Wisbech travel to Kirkley & Pakefield on Saturday.
- 1 The Great British Sunday is a rush to the pumps not the piers
- 2 Frisson of excitement for Nissen as wartime hut sells for £169,000
- 3 Former mayor Aigars Balsevics must wait for verdict on pub fate
- 4 Crisis, what crisis? Panic buying at the pumps in Fenland
- 5 Former mayor begins court battle to retain pub
- 6 Rings End A141 closed after three vehicle collision
- 7 Drug free, drink free BMW driver crashes into wall
- 8 Community group to review case of missing Terry McSpadden
- 9 Fenmen caught napping as Fenland sides suffer weekend pain
- 10 Body found in Wisbech road
For more on the Fenmen’s start to the New Year see Friday’s Wisbech Standard.