Wisbech Town shrug off Wroxham setback to thrash Newmarket Town 4-0
WISBECH Town returned to winning ways yesterday with a 4-0 thrashing of struggling Newmarket Town.
The Fenmen bounced back from a 2-1 New Year’s Eve defeat to Ridgeons Premier Division leaders Wroxham with the victory at the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium.
Goals from Ollie Gale, Steven Reid, Nick Davey and a Chris Bacon penalty helped Wisbech reignite their promotion hopes.
The win halted a miserable festive period for the Fenmen, who were beaten 3-1 by Ely City on Boxing Day before losing away at Wroxham.
The Yachtsmen put themselves 10 points clear at the top of the table after holding off a second-half comeback from Wisbech.
You may also want to watch:
Davey’s strike after 69 minutes gave the Fenmen hope of overturning a 2-0 deficit at Trafford Park. But despite a barrage of pressure in the closing stages, Wroxham held out for a vital win.
Fourth-placed Wisbech travel to Kirkley & Pakefield on Saturday.
- 1 Tributes paid to 'much loved' Gabija killed in A605 crash
- 2 Police share images of Wisbech cannabis factory
- 3 ‘I’m tired of being fobbed off’ says customer of Wisbech builder
- 4 Fenland Council loses fight to stop incinerator survey
- 5 Grandmother of drowning victim calls for Bawsey Pits closure
- 6 Woman left 'terrified' after spitting assault
- 7 Woman escapes unharmed after car and bus B1101 crash
- 8 'Sports cages' designed by Cambs company are helping children stay active
- 9 Family tribute to grandfather killed in A1123 crash
- 10 800 sign in 24 hours to close lake where Radek drowned
For more on the Fenmen’s start to the New Year see Friday’s Wisbech Standard.