Wisbech Town’s unbeaten run ends after 2-1 loss at Kirkley and Pakefield
WISBECH Town were defeated 2-1 by high-flying Kirkley and Pakefield on Saturday, as their seven game unbeaten run came to an end.
The day had started brightly for the Fenmen, with Aaron Turner’s precise finish putting them ahead early on.
And they could have extended their lead through Andy Furnell and Lewis Thompson but Dave Attridge was equal to the danger in the Kirkley goal.
The home side quickly began to get a grip on the game, as the outfield players looked to capitalise on the heroics from their goalkeeper.
Russell Stock combined brilliantly with Taz Grint only for Wisbech captain Paul Cousins to handle the ball as it flew towards goal. Ian Dawson saw his spot-kick fly well over goalkeeper Lea Jordan’s bar.
You may also want to watch:
However, Kirkley were not thwarted by the setback, as eight minutes later they were level. Neat play from Russell Stock found Robert Horton and he unleashed a thunderbolt into the top corner from just outside the area.
Just three minutes after the break substitute Stuart Cobb, who had previously replaced injured captain Paul Cousins, fouled Grint in the box.
- 1 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 2 New independent funeral service opens in Wisbech
- 3 Man on the run after stealing e-scooter from child
- 4 Suspected drug dealers arrested in Wisbech raid
- 5 Two charged with Wisbech murder
- 6 Tories retain two Wisbech seats for county council
- 7 Villagers 'clap for Dr Nik' to celebrate mayoralty victory
- 8 Drink driver TWICE rammed off-duty officers' car
- 9 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 10 Wisbech boss confident of upturn in fortunes thanks to new-look squad
This time the responsibility was given to Ali McKenna who made no mistake from the spot to put Kirkley 2-1 up, and seal the three points.
Elsewhere, Dereham Town beat Debenham LC 2-0 to remain five points clear at the top of the Ridegons Premier Division.
There were also wins for Wroxham who beat CRC 2-1 and Clacton who beat Norwich United 1-0.