Wisbech Town’s unbeaten run ends after 2-1 loss at Kirkley and Pakefield
WISBECH Town were defeated 2-1 by high-flying Kirkley and Pakefield on Saturday, as their seven game unbeaten run came to an end.
The day had started brightly for the Fenmen, with Aaron Turner’s precise finish putting them ahead early on.
And they could have extended their lead through Andy Furnell and Lewis Thompson but Dave Attridge was equal to the danger in the Kirkley goal.
The home side quickly began to get a grip on the game, as the outfield players looked to capitalise on the heroics from their goalkeeper.
Russell Stock combined brilliantly with Taz Grint only for Wisbech captain Paul Cousins to handle the ball as it flew towards goal. Ian Dawson saw his spot-kick fly well over goalkeeper Lea Jordan’s bar.
You may also want to watch:
However, Kirkley were not thwarted by the setback, as eight minutes later they were level. Neat play from Russell Stock found Robert Horton and he unleashed a thunderbolt into the top corner from just outside the area.
Just three minutes after the break substitute Stuart Cobb, who had previously replaced injured captain Paul Cousins, fouled Grint in the box.
- 1 Pets saved in horrific rescue start to be rehomed
- 2 Wisbech nightspot up for sale for £410,000
- 3 Threatening domestic abuser tracked and assaulted ex partner of 10 years
- 4 'Savage' attack left man without spleen
- 5 Cant's Drove loses 'worst road in the Fens' title
- 6 Rainbow alliance hoping to bring sunshine to the Fens
- 7 Pupils thrilled to take next step towards England dream
- 8 Marathon runner passes through Cambs on route to Kathmandu
- 9 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 10 A47 to close overnight near Wisbech for roadworks
This time the responsibility was given to Ali McKenna who made no mistake from the spot to put Kirkley 2-1 up, and seal the three points.
Elsewhere, Dereham Town beat Debenham LC 2-0 to remain five points clear at the top of the Ridegons Premier Division.
There were also wins for Wroxham who beat CRC 2-1 and Clacton who beat Norwich United 1-0.