WALKING FOOTBALL: Wisbech Town suffer knockout heartbreak just seven days after final defeat
- Credit: Archant
It was knockout heartbreak yet again for Wisbech Town at the weekend.
The Fenmen bowed out at the semi-final stage following a 2-1 defeat on penalties to Norwich City Greens, having finished 1-1 after normal time at the Norwich Soca Seniors-staged tournament, just seven days after last week's final defeat to Stamford.
Wisbech opened their tournament account with a 1-0 win over Norwich City Yellows, before a solid defensive display saw off Foxash 3-0.
Warren Clark netted a brace in Wisbech's 3-1 victory over previously unbeaten Beccles, with Clark firing twice more in the win over Long Stratton by the same scoreline.
Despite a tense 0-0 draw with Watton Vikings, it was left to the in-form Clark to confirm Wisbech's last-four spot in a narrow 1-0 success over Diss.
You may also want to watch:
Steve Wyness struck early in the semi-final with Norwich City Greens, before being pegged back courtesy of a swift counter-attack in a tight encounter.
Although seeing two penalties disallowed for over-stepping, Wisbech failed to capitalise in the shootout despite having two chances to lead, with Ben Baylis' agonising miss proving the deciding factor.
- 1 Pervert filmed himself having sex with girl, 14, and then shared video online
- 2 Burger entrepreneur excited to reopen as lockdown eases on May 17
- 3 Prison sentence for man who brutally attacked his partner
- 4 'Disbelief’ for disability centre after staff member’s scooter is stolen
- 5 MP Steve Barclay visits £14m A47 Guyhirn roundabout upgrade works
- 6 ‘This is not a puppy farm’ says breeder in response to planning objections
- 7 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after death of woman in her 70s
- 8 Two boys, aged 12 and 14, arrested after 3am service station burglary
- 9 Class B drug factory discovered following British Gas search warrant
- 10 Defeated Tory hits out at ‘toxic brand’ and says ‘James Palmer had it coming’
Manager Jonny Pearce said: "I couldn't ask anymore from the lads today, they have been awesome.
"This is the hardest tournament we have played in with all the teams being top quality."