WALKING FOOTBALL: Wisbech Town suffer knockout heartbreak just seven days after final defeat

Members of the Wisbech Town Walking Football team who were semi-finalists at the weekend. Picture: F

Members of the Wisbech Town Walking Football team who were semi-finalists at the weekend. Picture: FACEBOOK/JONNY PEARCE - Credit: Archant

It was knockout heartbreak yet again for Wisbech Town at the weekend.

The Fenmen bowed out at the semi-final stage following a 2-1 defeat on penalties to Norwich City Greens, having finished 1-1 after normal time at the Norwich Soca Seniors-staged tournament, just seven days after last week's final defeat to Stamford.

Wisbech opened their tournament account with a 1-0 win over Norwich City Yellows, before a solid defensive display saw off Foxash 3-0.

Warren Clark netted a brace in Wisbech's 3-1 victory over previously unbeaten Beccles, with Clark firing twice more in the win over Long Stratton by the same scoreline.

Despite a tense 0-0 draw with Watton Vikings, it was left to the in-form Clark to confirm Wisbech's last-four spot in a narrow 1-0 success over Diss.

You may also want to watch:

Steve Wyness struck early in the semi-final with Norwich City Greens, before being pegged back courtesy of a swift counter-attack in a tight encounter.

Although seeing two penalties disallowed for over-stepping, Wisbech failed to capitalise in the shootout despite having two chances to lead, with Ben Baylis' agonising miss proving the deciding factor.

Most Read

Manager Jonny Pearce said: "I couldn't ask anymore from the lads today, they have been awesome.

"This is the hardest tournament we have played in with all the teams being top quality."

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus