Wisbech Town out of FA Cup after 4-0 defeat against Needham Market
WISBECH Town crashed out of the FA Cup on Saturday with a 4-0 defeat at the hands of fellow Ridgeon s Premier League side Needham Market. Wisbech made a bright start and could have led after three minutes. The crossbar, a header off the line and a goalmou
WISBECH Town crashed out of the FA Cup on Saturday with a 4-0 defeat at the hands of fellow Ridgeon's Premier League side Needham Market.
Wisbech made a bright start and could have led after three minutes. The crossbar, a header off the line and a goalmouth scramble stopped Paul Cousins' header opening the scoring.
The game was end-to-end afterwards, but Needham took the lead on 17 minutes when Danny Phillips slotted the ball past Fenmen keeper Alex Street.
Darren Jimson should have equalised 10 minutes later, after a Scott Cubberley cross from the left, but his effort was blocked on the line.
And Wisbech were made to pay. On 36 minutes Phillips scored his second of the game by rounding Street and, a few minutes later, Daniel Thrower headed home from a corner.
Needham ended any hopes of a Wisbech comeback six minutes into the second half, when Charlie Defty fouled James Evans in the box and Phillips stepped up to complete his hat trick.
- 1 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 2 Princess Eugenie on mission to stop modern slavery
- 3 Tributes paid to 'beloved husband' killed crossing road
- 4 Children among suspected hare coursers stopped in the Fens
- 5 Yellows keep up league form while reds stumble for Wisbech
- 6 Crowds watch as Wisbech lights up for Christmas
- 7 Stolen caravans discovered on village site to relief of owners
- 8 Fens business park goes to auction - for up to £700,000
- 9 Two-day operation to feature in episode four of TV series
- 10 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
The Fenmen now have two league games in four days, both at The Nest in Outwell. They entertain Walsham-le-Willows tomorrow (Saturday) and Histon Reserves on Tuesday.