Wisbech Town limp to defeat against rejuvenated Stanway Rovers
Ridgeons Premier Division: Stanway Rovers 2 Wisbech Town 0
WISBECH Town returned to action with a disappointing 2-0 defeat away to a rejuvenated Stanway Rovers.
Playing their first game for three weeks, the Fenmen struggled against an Essex side who were inspired by their new manager and several new faces on the teamsheet.
Wisbech went behind after half an hour when the defence failed to clear a corner. With his vision obscured, ‘keeper Lea Jordan could do little to prevent the Stanway player’s shot from flying past him.
The Fenmen did have the ball in the back of the net themselves but the goal was disallowed after the referee penalised Andy Furnell for a foul on the goalkeeper.
You may also want to watch:
Wisbech found themselves further behind just minutes after half time, when a Rovers player found room inside the box to fire his shot past Jordan.
Although second half substitutes Darren Jimson and Billy Smith did cause Stanway some problems late on, the home side, who sat in 17th place before today, held on for victory.
- 1 Police swoop on Chatteris housing estate following machete threat
- 2 ‘You’re trespassing’ - What happened when we gave Matt Hancock QEH petition
- 3 'Horrific ordeal' of saleswoman tied up, restrained and sexually assaulted
- 4 Rainbow alliance set out their stall for Cambridgeshire
- 5 Dame Mary Archer defence witness in sexual abuse trial of judge's widow
- 6 Businessman slams council’s coronavirus grants in explosive live rant
- 7 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 8 Woman, 78, suffers horrific injuries after e-scooter hit-and-run
- 9 Two men with links to Cottenham on 'most wanted' list
- 10 Murder suspect is victim's son
Spencer Larham, Wisbech’s website editor, said: “2-0 was a fair reflection really. We certainly weren’t at out best.
“Stanway played well and they came out of the blocks faster than us in the second half. They weren’t brilliant but they were effective.”