Promoted ladies cap off perfect pre-season for Wisbech
- Credit: Wisbech Town Hockey Club
Wisbech Town’s ladies team signed off pre-season in perfect fashion ahead of the new East League hockey season
Jo Bland’s first-team earned a 4-2 win over Spalding, before four goals from Jo Gomm earned a 7-0 triumph at Pelicans HC in King’s Lynn.
The newly-promoted ladies begin their women’s Division One North campaign at Cambs South on Saturday.
There was also success for Wisbech ladies’ 2nds who ran out 4-1 winners against Pelicans; Sam Pritchard’s brace, Emma Baker and Lou Sandall all scoring.
They host Spalding 3rds this Saturday, 12pm.
In the men’s section, Wisbech 1sts, promoted to Division One North following the league restructuring, were victorious last weekend.
Jamie Hallatt scored twice and claimed an assist in Wisbech’s 5-3 win versus Long Sutton at Harecroft Road.
- 1 Arson causes fire to rip through derelict building
- 2 Man and teenager jailed after carrying out ‘horrific’ homophobic attack
- 3 Over 6,000 homes approved across Cambridgeshire this year
- 4 Woman on trial over death of Louis Thorold ‘had worsening dementia’
- 5 Wisbech Swimming Club member gains place at British Swimming Championships final
- 6 Over 480 arrests for drink driving across county, say police
- 7 Mayor's visit inspires Fenmen to cup thrashing
- 8 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 9 Woman on trial over death of Louis Thorold ‘had undiagnosed Alzheimer’s’
- 10 Chip shop’s new platter dish ‘The Great Gordon’ tribute to late founder
New captain Charlie Baxter will open the curtain on the 2021-22 season at UEA on Saturday.
Wisbech 2nds earned a confidence boost of their own with a resounding 12-1 win over Ely ahead of their Division Three North West opener against Cambs South 3rds on September 18, 1.45pm.
The thirds tasted derby glory as goals from Jason Thomas and Bradley Burton gave Wisbech a 2-1 win over March Town.
Wisbech open their league against at Bourne-Deeping this weekend.
In an intra-club game, the ladies’ 3rds and men’s 4ths played against each other as a chance to field new players ahead of the season.
Wisbech men’s 4ths host St Neots on Saturday, 3.30pm.