NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: Wisbech Town hold on to beat Northampton ON Chenecks
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Town’s unbeaten run was extended to eight games with a 4-3 win over lowly Northampton O.N. Chenecks but, as the scoreline suggests, it was far from straightforward.
The early signs were good as the Fenmen dominated possession but clear-cut chances were not forthcoming. Twenty minutes in, Adam Millson missed from five yards after Michael Frew’s low shot rebounded to him off the base of the post, but Jon Fairweather was on hand five minutes later to head home a Danny Setchell corner.
Another Setchell corner in the 36th minute saw Kieran Hamilton extend the Fenmen’s lead with a low shot through a crowded penalty area.
Three minutes before the break, Millson made amends for his earlier miss with a well-placed long-range strike past the diving keeper.
Two deflected free-kicks early in the second half from Calvin Budd gave the visitors some hope of taking something from the game, but Alex Beck tapped home from two yards with five minutes remaining to restore the two-goal lead.
You may also want to watch:
But Jonny Muddiman pulled another goal back in stoppage time although there wasn’t enough time remaining to find an equaliser.
Wisbech return to action this Saturday with an FA Vase clash against Felixstowe & Walton United, who sit at the top of the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division.
- 1 Woman claims police officer ‘forced himself’ upon her
- 2 Table tennis club 'bitterly disappointed' to be told to move
- 3 A fiver for a photographic tour of historic Wisbech
- 4 'A crash waiting to happen' say police
- 5 Flytippers target same Fenland road two days in a row
- 6 'Harassment' forces village speedwatch team to close
- 7 New ditch to relieve flood issues 'more challenging than expected'
- 8 Cafe to shut for good after eight years
- 9 Van overturns after striking Ely’s infamous ‘most bashed bridge’
- 10 ‘Shift well spent!’: Fen Cops target illegal motorists in day of action