Wisbech Town defender Ashton’s spell at Spalding United set to continue
DEFENDER Simon Ashton’s spell at Spalding United is set to continue after Wisbech Town boss Steve Appleby agreed he could play for the Tulips in the FA Vase.
The 19-year-old centre-back signed dual registration forms with the United Counties League outfit last month and has started all three of Spalding’s games since completing the deal.
Ashton - who can still play for Wisbech as the teams compete in different leagues - is now likely to play for Andy Stanhope’s side against Tividale in the Vase second round on November 26.
Appleby said: “Simon is staying at Spalding and I’m allowing him to play for them in the Vase.
“He’s not done anything wrong but he’s out of the reckoning at the moment and I promised him after leaving Boston United in the summer that he would play regular football - Spalding can provide that.”
You may also want to watch:
Ashton will be cup-tied if he appears against Tividale meaning he will be unable to play for the Fenmen in the competition again this season.
Appleby’s side travel to Racing Club Warwick in the competition in around a fortnight as they look to continue their fine form.
- 1 Five fire crews called to building blaze
- 2 Cheers to that! Businesses reopen as lockdown restrictions ease
- 3 Ladies mark return from lockdown with eight-goal thriller
- 4 'I lived in the woods' - Suspected murder victim reveals five year ordeal
- 5 New offering can help 'encourage more participation in angling'
- 6 BBC drama Casualty storyline to feature pelvic mesh implant scandal
- 7 Runners caught in their 'runderwear' for Three Counties
- 8 All you need to know about the new Vauxhall Mokka
- 9 Five year mystery of what happened to modern day slavery victim
- 10 ‘The Duke of Edinburgh’s security team wouldn’t let him ride our tandem...’
Wisbech, who have won their last six games in all competitions and are unbeaten in nine matches, travel to Woodbridge Town in the Ridgeons Premier Division on Saturday.