Wisbech Town defender Ashton’s spell at Spalding United set to continue
DEFENDER Simon Ashton’s spell at Spalding United is set to continue after Wisbech Town boss Steve Appleby agreed he could play for the Tulips in the FA Vase.
The 19-year-old centre-back signed dual registration forms with the United Counties League outfit last month and has started all three of Spalding’s games since completing the deal.
Ashton - who can still play for Wisbech as the teams compete in different leagues - is now likely to play for Andy Stanhope’s side against Tividale in the Vase second round on November 26.
Appleby said: “Simon is staying at Spalding and I’m allowing him to play for them in the Vase.
“He’s not done anything wrong but he’s out of the reckoning at the moment and I promised him after leaving Boston United in the summer that he would play regular football - Spalding can provide that.”
You may also want to watch:
Ashton will be cup-tied if he appears against Tividale meaning he will be unable to play for the Fenmen in the competition again this season.
Appleby’s side travel to Racing Club Warwick in the competition in around a fortnight as they look to continue their fine form.
- 1 Drug free, drink free BMW driver crashes into wall
- 2 Former mayor Aigars Balsevics must wait for verdict on pub fate
- 3 Former mayor begins court battle to retain pub
- 4 Motorcyclist dies in A141 crash
- 5 A141 closed after motorcycle crash
- 6 Watch the moment E-scooter rider, 16, narrowly misses crashing into bus
- 7 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 8 Body found in Wisbech road
- 9 Bomb scare was a 'hoax' say police
- 10 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
Wisbech, who have won their last six games in all competitions and are unbeaten in nine matches, travel to Woodbridge Town in the Ridgeons Premier Division on Saturday.