Wisbech Town cruise past Hadleigh United to stretch winning run to three games
A COMMANDING performance saw Wisbech Town beat Hadleigh United 3-0 to stretch their winning run to three games.
Goals from Andy Furnell, Lewis Thompson and a penalty from Simon Flanz helped the Fenmen to another away victory in blustery conditions.
The home side struggled to assert themselves against an in-form Wisbech team, and they could have been one down after a matter of seconds.
Straight from the kick-off, Callum Reed, with the wind behind him, tried an audacious effort and only the hand of the opposition ‘keeper prevented what would have been one of the quickest goals in Ridgeons Premier Division history.
The Fenmen did take the lead after half an hour when last week’s hero Scott Johnson was felled inside the box. Simon Flanz converted from the spot to give Wisbech a well-deserved, half-time lead.
Wisbech’s domination continued after the break and Andy Furnell soon doubled their lead with a smart finish. Minutes later Lewis Thompson sealed the points when the midfielder ran onto Reed’s pass and slotted home.
Man of the match was awarded to Anthony Reeve for an imperious display alongside skipper Paul Cousins in the centre of defence.
- 1 Children among suspected hare coursers stopped in the Fens
- 2 Crowds watch as Wisbech lights up for Christmas
- 3 Princess Eugenie comes to town in bid to tackle modern slavery
- 4 Stolen caravans discovered on village site to relief of owners
- 5 Fens business park goes to auction - for up to £700,000
- 6 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
- 7 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 8 Two-day operation to feature in episode four of TV series
- 9 Wayne officially opens doors to DOORBRITE showroom
- 10 Family's tribute to 'much-loved' and 'fun-loving' A1198 crash victim
Reeve said: “It was a great team effort. Everyone defended really well today. It’s about building momentum now and everyone has got the belief. We don’t feel like we are going to lose a game at the moment.”