Fantastic Fenmen crowned league champions for first time
- Credit: Supplied/Jonny Pearce
Wisbech Town’s walking footballers were crowned league champions for the first time thanks to an impeccable final day performance.
The Fenmen beat Netherton United ‘A’ in a double-header, knowing two wins from those two games would secure the Division One title in the Peterborough & District Walking Football League.
Despite striker Scott Sawers and goalkeeper John Knight missing out, Wisbech cruised to victory in both games.
After Netherton took the lead, Jonny Pearce’s side sparked into life with Rich Mellor scoring four times in a 7-1 thrashing.
But despite a near slip-up in the first contest, the second was anything but.
Mellor was on hand to strike again, and three goals for Steve Wyness and two for David Frosdick ensured a 9-0 win to secure the silverware.
Pearce said: “I asked the players to be brave, believe in what we are doing and to keep playing our style of football and I can’t fault them.
- 1 Tributes paid to 'lovely' teenager as police continue murder probe
- 2 New dessert shop bids to become 'best in the area'
- 3 Detectives given longer to question Downham Market murder suspects
- 4 Family's tribute to 'son in a million' killed in motorbike crash
- 5 Family run tea room closes after 10 years in business
- 6 Seven places where £4.9m road maintenance has been approved
- 7 Murder probe sends 'shockwaves' through community
- 8 Footballer, Harry, hoping for future in professional football
- 9 £4,000 raised for Natalie to live her dreams after cancer diagnosis
- 10 Man in 30s dead, two arrested on suspicion of murder in Norfolk town
“They have put everything into this, they work hard in training and today they have got what they deserve.
“I have a great group of players here and I’m looking forward to what the future holds for us as a club.”
Wisbech Town - Martin Beasant, Ben Baylis, David Frosdick, Rich Mellor, Steve Wyness, Paul Murray, Wayne Beasant, William Barrett.