Fantastic Fenmen crowned league champions for first time
- Credit: Supplied/Jonny Pearce
Wisbech Town’s walking footballers were crowned league champions for the first time thanks to an impeccable final day performance.
The Fenmen beat Netherton United ‘A’ in a double-header, knowing two wins from those two games would secure the Division One title in the Peterborough & District Walking Football League.
Despite striker Scott Sawers and goalkeeper John Knight missing out, Wisbech cruised to victory in both games.
After Netherton took the lead, Jonny Pearce’s side sparked into life with Rich Mellor scoring four times in a 7-1 thrashing.
But despite a near slip-up in the first contest, the second was anything but.
Mellor was on hand to strike again, and three goals for Steve Wyness and two for David Frosdick ensured a 9-0 win to secure the silverware.
Pearce said: “I asked the players to be brave, believe in what we are doing and to keep playing our style of football and I can’t fault them.
- 1 Town road to remain closed following serious crash
- 2 Police 'increasingly concerned' for man missing since early hours yesterday
- 3 £150,000 splashpad to open in Wisbech
- 4 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 5 Man, 28, dies after truck and lorries crash on A47
- 6 'Giving a child the chance to be a child lifts my heart’ says foster carer
- 7 Andre Rieu brings new summer concert to Cambridgeshire cinemas
- 8 Painter who captured town before 1978 floods finishes 44 years on
- 9 Man and teenager jailed after carrying out ‘horrific’ homophobic attack
- 10 Arson causes fire to rip through derelict building
“They have put everything into this, they work hard in training and today they have got what they deserve.
“I have a great group of players here and I’m looking forward to what the future holds for us as a club.”
Wisbech Town - Martin Beasant, Ben Baylis, David Frosdick, Rich Mellor, Steve Wyness, Paul Murray, Wayne Beasant, William Barrett.