Wisbech Town Cricket Club launch season with historic MCC fixture
WISBECH Cricket Club have kick-started their season with the historic annual fixture against the MCC today.
With regular skipper James Williams absent, vice-captain Gary Freear led his side out at Harecroft Road to contest the two-day fixture, which dates back to the 1940s.
Wisbech are the only club side to enjoy a two-day game against the MCC, which plays more than 500 matches at home and overseas every year.
Speaking before the game, Freear said: “We have got a young side out and it’s great experience for them. They are very lucky - I know I had to wait for my chance when I was that age.
“They have a chance to put down a marker and show us what they can do. Whoever the MCC bring it will be a big test. They are a quality side and they don’t like losing.
You may also want to watch:
“I must have played in about 10 of these games and the atmosphere is always fantastic. It’s two days of serious cricket but played in a friendly manner.
“It’s the perfect way to start the season. There is no pressure and it’s a good chance to show what we can do. We want to make sure we entertain so we can keep playing this fixture.”
- 1 Pink Cadillacs, sports cars and a VW Beetle: Students arrive in style for their leavers' prom
- 2 'It could happen to anyone' - girlfriend of drowning victim speaks out
- 3 Replacing pub with houses ‘effective re-use' of site
- 4 Quiz-loving duo win BBC game show hosted by Bradley Walsh and Holly Willoughby
- 5 Fenland Council welcomes Covid-19 compliant free rock festival
- 6 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 7 Historic hotel opens doors after lockdown transformation
- 8 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 9 Two drink drivers lose their licences
- 10 300 take part in autonomous shuttle passenger trial
Wisbech’s pre-season got off to a stuttering start on Saturday when they slumped to 138 all out in an 80-run defeat to Downham. The first team begin their Tucker Premier Division One campaign next Saturday against St Ives.