Wisbech Town Cricket Club launch season with historic MCC fixture
WISBECH Cricket Club have kick-started their season with the historic annual fixture against the MCC today.
With regular skipper James Williams absent, vice-captain Gary Freear led his side out at Harecroft Road to contest the two-day fixture, which dates back to the 1940s.
Wisbech are the only club side to enjoy a two-day game against the MCC, which plays more than 500 matches at home and overseas every year.
Speaking before the game, Freear said: “We have got a young side out and it’s great experience for them. They are very lucky - I know I had to wait for my chance when I was that age.
“They have a chance to put down a marker and show us what they can do. Whoever the MCC bring it will be a big test. They are a quality side and they don’t like losing.
“I must have played in about 10 of these games and the atmosphere is always fantastic. It’s two days of serious cricket but played in a friendly manner.
“It’s the perfect way to start the season. There is no pressure and it’s a good chance to show what we can do. We want to make sure we entertain so we can keep playing this fixture.”
- 1 Town road to remain closed following serious crash
- 2 Man, 28, dies after truck and lorries crash on A47
- 3 Police 'increasingly concerned' for man missing since early hours yesterday
- 4 £150,000 splashpad to open in Wisbech
- 5 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 6 'Giving a child the chance to be a child lifts my heart’ says foster carer
- 7 OPINION: Jettison inertia and save money
- 8 Arson causes fire to rip through derelict building
- 9 Discount store expanding making it ‘bigger and better for customers’
- 10 Painter who captured town before 1978 floods finishes 44 years on
Wisbech’s pre-season got off to a stuttering start on Saturday when they slumped to 138 all out in an 80-run defeat to Downham. The first team begin their Tucker Premier Division One campaign next Saturday against St Ives.