Wisbech Town Cricket Club launch season with historic MCC fixture
WISBECH Cricket Club have kick-started their season with the historic annual fixture against the MCC today.
With regular skipper James Williams absent, vice-captain Gary Freear led his side out at Harecroft Road to contest the two-day fixture, which dates back to the 1940s.
Wisbech are the only club side to enjoy a two-day game against the MCC, which plays more than 500 matches at home and overseas every year.
Speaking before the game, Freear said: “We have got a young side out and it’s great experience for them. They are very lucky - I know I had to wait for my chance when I was that age.
“They have a chance to put down a marker and show us what they can do. Whoever the MCC bring it will be a big test. They are a quality side and they don’t like losing.
You may also want to watch:
“I must have played in about 10 of these games and the atmosphere is always fantastic. It’s two days of serious cricket but played in a friendly manner.
“It’s the perfect way to start the season. There is no pressure and it’s a good chance to show what we can do. We want to make sure we entertain so we can keep playing this fixture.”
- 1 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 2 Widow of High Court judge, 77, charged with historical sexual abuse
- 3 'Disbelief’ for disability centre after staff member’s scooter is stolen
- 4 Man suspected to have stolen '£300-400' of alcohol in store theft
- 5 Suspected drink lorry driver threw whiskey and wine bottle from cab
- 6 Pervert filmed himself having sex with girl, 14, and then shared video online
- 7 Commuter chaos as van blaze causes miles of congestion
- 8 'Unreasonable behaviour' means Steve must pay council's costs of failed appeal
- 9 Hairdressing student is best of 1,000 after winning national competition
- 10 Class B drug factory discovered following British Gas search warrant
Wisbech’s pre-season got off to a stuttering start on Saturday when they slumped to 138 all out in an 80-run defeat to Downham. The first team begin their Tucker Premier Division One campaign next Saturday against St Ives.