Perfect Wisbech Town closing in on walking football glory
- Credit: Facebook/Jonny Pearce
Walking football glory is now in Wisbech Town’s hands after a perfect weekend.
Jonny Pearce’s side won a maximum 12 points from their latest outings in Division One of the Peterborough & District Walking Football League on June 27, meaning two more wins will seal the title.
Goals from Rich Mellor, Scott Sawers and Steve Wyness earned an opening 3-1 win over leaders Harborough Town Yellow, before beating Harborough Town Reds 5-0.
Wisbech’s first opponents then failed to learn from their mistakes as hat-tricks for Sawers and Wyness completed a 6-0 thrashing, before a second five-goal victory over Harborough Town Reds.
“With two games to go, things are looking good for us,” Pearce said.
“I keep telling the players we haven’t won anything until the final whistle of the last game, and I want us to keep playing with the same intensity and style that we have throughout this campaign.”
Wisbech conclude their 2020-21 season with a double-header against Netherton United ‘A’ on Sunday, July 25.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 3 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 4 Watches and electric display box stolen in village burglary
- 5 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 6 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 7 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 8 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 9 Photos show grim reality of life on the streets
Wisbech Town - John Knight, Martin Beasant, David Frosdick, Ben Baylis, Wayne Beasant, Richard Mellor, William Barrett, Scott Sawers, Steve Wyness.