Wisbech Town bounce back from midweek defeat with 2-1 victory
Ridgeons Premier Division: Wisbech Town 2 Woodbridge Town 1
WISBECH Town returned to winning ways as they beat Woodbridge Town 2-1 at the Tom Wood’s Beer Stadium.
Goals from Aaron Turner and Andy Furnell were enough to see the Fenmen bounce back from their 3-2 midweek defeat to Cambridge City, which eliminated them from the Cambs Invitation Cup.
But the home side may have expected things to have been a little easier against bottom of the league Woodbridge, who put in a battling display in what proved to be a competitive tie.
Aaron Turner continued his fine scoring form, putting the Fenmen in front mid-way through the first half.
You may also want to watch:
And their lead was doubled when Andy Furnell broke through the defence and finished neatly.
But thoughts of a walk-over quickly evaporated as Woodbridge struck on the stroke of half-time to keep the game alive.
- 1 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 2 New independent funeral service opens in Wisbech
- 3 Man on the run after stealing e-scooter from child
- 4 Suspected drug dealers arrested in Wisbech raid
- 5 Two charged with Wisbech murder
- 6 Tories retain two Wisbech seats for county council
- 7 Villagers 'clap for Dr Nik' to celebrate mayoralty victory
- 8 Drink driver TWICE rammed off-duty officers' car
- 9 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 10 Wisbech boss confident of upturn in fortunes thanks to new-look squad
Although both sides had chances, neither could find the net in a second half which saw the Woodbridge goalkeeper in fine form, and Wisbech held on to secure the three points.
Spencer Larham, editor of the club’s website, said he was happy with an important win, which keeps the Fenmen in the top six.
He said: “People will say it was bottom of the league and we should be beating them comfortably but they played well.
“You can’t expect every game to be a goal-fest and especially against the bottom sides because they’re the ones who are fighting for their lives.”
Wisbech will now begin preparations for their midweek tie against Histon Reserves.