Wisbech Town boss Appleby wants to ‘protect’ teenage duo Gale and Murphy
WISBECH Town boss Steve Appleby has insisted he will do his best to protect talented teenage duo Ollie Gale and Sam Murphy.
The pair - along with Chris Bacon and Liam Nimmo - scored in the Fenmen’s 4-0 FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round win against Halstead Town on Saturday.
The victory set up a mouth-watering derby with March Town United in the next round on September 3.
Appleby said: “Ollie and Sam’s performance showed just how much they’ve progressed.
“It’s a big year for them but I’m going to have to be careful with them both. I don’t want to chuck them in at the deep end because it’s a big step up.
“They’re a talented pair but they’re both young and they’re still learning their game and we need to allow them to do that.
“They’ve done well and have a bright future but sometimes they’ll be with me and other times the reserves.”
- 1 Main road through Wisbech town centre shut after serious crash
- 2 Middlesbrough couple found in Cambs with drugs worth around £37,000
- 3 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 4 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 5 Lorry breaks down on A47 near Wisbech
- 6 Princess Anne waves from Range Rover after landing in Wisbech
- 7 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 8 Eye burglar smashed doors with brick and stole jewellery and chocolate
- 9 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 10 Tribute to ‘much-loved’ school worker who died suddenly in Wisbech
The Fenmen travel to FC Clacton tomorrow before hosting last season’s runners-up Dereham Town in a crunch clash on Tuesday.
Appleby said: “You win leagues at places like Clacton so although it’s a long journey we go there looking to bring back three points.”
• RAMPANT Wisbech Town shot to the top of the Ridgeons Premier Division on Wednesday after thumping Newmarket Town 5-2.
Appleby’s in-form outfit flew into a 3-0 lead with Gale, Nimmo and Bacon scoring inside the first 20 minutes.
The home side pulled a goal back before the break but that failed to stop Appleby’s impressive outfit powering to all three points.
Callum Reed and Steven Reid added their names to the scoresheet in the second half to wrap up unbeaten Wisbech’s convincing away victory.