Wisbech Town boss Appleby: Striker Stevens has ‘kissed goodbye’ to the Fenmen
STRIKER Ash Stevens looks to have played his last game for Wisbech Town after the 25-year-old told Fenmen boss Steve Appleby that he was looking at other clubs.
Stevens was Wisbech’s second top-scorer last season with 15 goals but the striker played for Holbeach United in their 1-0 friendly win over Bedford Town on Tuesday night and now looks set to depart the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium.
Fenmen boss Appleby is already lining up a replacement for Stevens, who is thought to be wanted by Blackstones and Soham Town Rangers as well as Holbeach.
Appleby said: “Ash (Stevens) told me that all the Peterborough lads have left Wisbech and he doesn’t want to travel on his own. He said he would like to have a look at other clubs before making his mind up.
“Once a player does that I’m not interested because he has obviously not got his heart in it and I’ve got bigger fish to fry. I’m not holding out on people - I want people who want to play for Wisbech.
You may also want to watch:
“If he’s already started looking elsewhere then he’s kissed goodbye to this football club.”
Wisbech Town continue their pre-season preparations tomorrow when they travel to Swineshead Institute before hosting Pinchbeck United on Saturday.
- 1 Grandmother of drowning victim calls for Bawsey Pits closure
- 2 Wife's tribute to husband killed in B1101 Elm Road crash
- 3 Cannabis worth over £656,000 uncovered in Fen village
- 4 'Gone but never forgotten' - tributes left by lake where man drowned
- 5 A141 closed at roundabout after lorry overturns
- 6 Floral tributes laid for man killed in B1101 Elm Road crash
- 7 Friends pay tribute to ‘great young lad’ who drowned at Bawsey Pits
- 8 Mum shares her experience in call for IVF to be reinstated
- 9 Jeremy Corbyn to speak at King's Lynn hospital rally
- 10 Man arrested after cannabis factory found after house blaze
Darren Jimson is still struggling with a knee injury but Neal Spafford and Stacy Cartwright are both close to a return after picking up knocks in the derby defeat to March Town United.