Wisbech Town boss Appleby challenges striker Stevens to hit new year goal trail
WISBECH Town boss Steve Appleby has challenged striker Ash Stevens to hit the goal trail and fire the Fenmen to new year glory.
Appleby’s troops began 2011 in emphatic style by thumping Mildenhall 3-0 on Monday to continue their push for a top-six finish in the Ridgeons Premier Division.
With a league cup quarter final on the horizon the Fenmen boss is hopeful that his side can continue to be equally clinical in the coming months.
Appleby said: “Ash has had a stop-start season and we want him, and the team, to kick on now and become more decisive.
“We signed him as a goalscorer because he scored goals for fun at Deeping Rangers. He’s been knocking on the door by banging them in for the reserves so we’re looking for him to do the same for us.”
Stevens bagged the opener during Monday’s comfortable win with Callum Reed and Lewis Thompson adding a goal each to secure the victory. Appleby has now demanded three more points from his side’s trip to Brantham Athletic on Saturday.
“I told the boys I wanted nine points from our first three games this year and I still stand by that,” said Appleby. “We were delighted with the performance on Monday because we kept the ball so well. Callum’s goal came from him following the ball so it certainly put a broad smile on my face.”
- 1 Crowds watch as Wisbech lights up for Christmas
- 2 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 3 Council’s final meeting of 2021 to include minute’s silence for those lost
- 4 Children among suspected hare coursers stopped in the Fens
- 5 Check before you travel ahead of major upgrade, commuters warned
- 6 'White van man' crashes into rail bridge
- 7 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 8 Ex-wife of killer Colin Hill shares rape ordeal more than 30 years on
- 9 New £566k convenience store opens creating 12 jobs
- 10 Health chiefs call for action amid rise in sexually transmitted infections