Wisbech Town boss Appleby challenges striker Stevens to hit new year goal trail
WISBECH Town boss Steve Appleby has challenged striker Ash Stevens to hit the goal trail and fire the Fenmen to new year glory.
Appleby’s troops began 2011 in emphatic style by thumping Mildenhall 3-0 on Monday to continue their push for a top-six finish in the Ridgeons Premier Division.
With a league cup quarter final on the horizon the Fenmen boss is hopeful that his side can continue to be equally clinical in the coming months.
Appleby said: “Ash has had a stop-start season and we want him, and the team, to kick on now and become more decisive.
“We signed him as a goalscorer because he scored goals for fun at Deeping Rangers. He’s been knocking on the door by banging them in for the reserves so we’re looking for him to do the same for us.”
You may also want to watch:
Stevens bagged the opener during Monday’s comfortable win with Callum Reed and Lewis Thompson adding a goal each to secure the victory. Appleby has now demanded three more points from his side’s trip to Brantham Athletic on Saturday.
“I told the boys I wanted nine points from our first three games this year and I still stand by that,” said Appleby. “We were delighted with the performance on Monday because we kept the ball so well. Callum’s goal came from him following the ball so it certainly put a broad smile on my face.”
- 1 Teenager, 16, threatened young couple with screwdriver in park
- 2 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 3 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 4 Marathon runner passes through Cambs on route to Kathmandu
- 5 Abandoned mooring could cost £50,000 to replace, says council
- 6 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 7 Bungling burglar confronted wearing stolen clothes
- 8 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 9 Hoax caller flouted strict court order after just three days
- 10 Pets saved in horrific rescue start to be rehomed