Wisbech Town boss Appleby admits Ridgeons Premier Division title is Wroxham’s to lose
MANAGER Steve Appleby admitted the Ridgeons Premier Division title is Wroxham’s to lose after Wisbech Town’s promotion hopes suffered a huge blow on Saturday.
Appleby was furious after his side threw away a two-goal lead, courtesy of strikes from Nick Davey and Jon Fairweather, to lose 4-2 at Kirkley & Pakefield.
The defeat leaves the Fenmen fifth, 14 points behind table-topping Wroxham - the only side along with Wisbech to have applied for promotion this season.
Appleby said: “The way the table’s looking now you’d say it’s definitely Wroxham’s to lose.
“Everybody still has to play each other again, so in one sense it’s still wide open, but we can’t have many more slip ups.
You may also want to watch:
“Saturday was a massive let down. We threw it away. We rolled over and died and that’s one thing I won’t accept.”
Stacy Cartwright (nose) and Lewis Thompson (ankle) are fit again and return to the squad for Saturday’s home game with mid-table Gorleston. (3pm kick-off).
- 1 Photos show grim reality of life on the streets
- 2 Inquest opens into death of labourer, 20, who drowned
- 3 Speeding car smashes into two vehicles before driving off
- 4 Antiques dealer's collection to be sold at auction
- 5 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 6 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 7 So that's settled - Government not council will fund new school
- 8 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 9 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 10 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
Liam Nimmo (work) is expected to be unavailable again.
Appleby said: “I’ve told the lads they need to have a think about how badly they want to win things before we kiss everything goodbye. It doesn’t matter how we get it but we need a win on Saturday.”