NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: Six of the best as Wisbech Town’s run continues with win over Kirby Muxloe
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Town extended their unbeaten run to 15 games - including six league wins on the bounce - with a 3-0 win over Kirby Muxloe.
Following the enforced midweek call-off of a County Cup game due to an injury crisis, manager Gary Setchell had just 12 fit players to call upon.
With record-breaking keeper Paul Bastock away, 18-year-old Aaron Watson was signed from King’s Lynn Town as cover.
It took just four minutes for Wisbech to take the lead, Michael Frew having the freedom of the Kirby Muxloe penalty area to put away Alex Beck’s cross.
The visitors from Leicestershire had a goal ruled out for offside and saw an excellent low cross run across the six-yard box but there was no one on hand to apply the finishing touch.
The Fenmen’s lead was extended in the 78th minute as Frew controlled Adam Millson’s pass inside the box before guiding it into the net.
Substitute Kieran Hamilton sent the Wisbech supporters home happy as he capitalised on a defensive mix-up to score in injury time.
- 1 Police 'increasingly concerned' for man missing since early hours yesterday
- 2 £150,000 splashpad to open in Wisbech
- 3 Man, 28, dies after truck and lorries crash on A47
- 4 Andre Rieu brings new summer concert to Cambridgeshire cinemas
- 5 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 6 Three rail and bus strikes in London and the East this week
- 7 NHS staff praised for ‘virtually eliminating’ long waiting times
- 8 Driver cleared by reason of insanity over death of Louis Thorold
- 9 Arson causes fire to rip through derelict building
- 10 Painter who captured town before 1978 floods finishes 44 years on
Wisbech, who are now just five points off top spot, travel to Northampton Sileby Rangers on Saturday (3pm).