Wisbech Town 5-0 Cogenhoe United: ‘Keeper Sam Vince is an unlikely scorer as five-star Fenmen chalk up fourth straight league win
- Credit: Archant
It’s not every day that your goalkeeper finds the net.
But that was exactly the case at the Elgoods Fenland Stadium last Saturday as Wisbech Town stopper Sam Vince struck his side’s third goal as they dismantled Cogenhoe United 5-0 in the UCL Premier Division.
Vince was allowed to step up and slot home from the spot after Michael Frew was brought down in the second half in what was a dominant display from Dick Creasey’s men.
While youngster Harry Limb’s move to Burnley dominated the headlines last week, Creasey will be pleased with the performance of another of his strikers who has found form in recent weeks - Alex Beck, who fired in another two goals to take his tally to 10 for the season.
Youngster Liam Adams opened the scoring early on following a well-worked move, before Beck steered home his first from an inviting Adam Millson cross.
You may also want to watch:
Vince got his name on the scoresheet in the 58th minute from the spot, before Beck slotted home his second - and Wisbech’s fourth - with nine minutes to play.
Smith arrowed in a fifth and final goal late on to give his side their fourth straight league success - a welcome result ahead of tonight’s re-arranged Cambs Invitation Cup semi-final at Cambridge City (7.45pm).
- 1 Pub car park approved despite 13 residents' noise concerns
- 2 Pub closes as owners decide not to sell
- 3 Customers report summerhouse builder to fraud investigators
- 4 Pub demolition decision deferred
- 5 Medieval pottery unearthed at Cambs campsite
- 6 Teenager, 16, threatened young couple with screwdriver in park
- 7 MP and mayor meet businesses in incinerator fight
- 8 Charity wins national award for its outstanding service
- 9 Councillors praised for 'tireless' illegal encampment work
- 10 Pioneering boat will make Norfolk coast more accessible
The last four clash was postponed a fortnight ago because of a waterlogged pitch, and the Lilywhites’ ProEdge Westwood Road ground will be subject to a pitch report at 2.30pm this afternoon in an attempt to avoid another postponement.