Wisbech to get �50,000 grant to help build new stadium
By ADAM LAZZARI WISBECH Town Football Club are to receive approximately �50,000 funding to cover 44 per cent of the costs of building their new stadium. The grant, from The Football Stadia Improvement Fund, is a massive boost to the club who hope to have
By ADAM LAZZARI
WISBECH Town Football Club are to receive approximately �50,000 funding to cover 44 per cent of the costs of building their new stadium.
The grant, from The Football Stadia Improvement Fund, is a massive boost to the club who hope to have the stadium, off Lynn Road, ready for next season.
The ground will cost �114,169 cost, excluding VAT.
You may also want to watch:
Spencer Larham, editor of the Wisbech Town Football Club website, said: "I don't think a rejection of the grant would have put the whole move into jeopardy but it will make a big impact and it means the club will be able to create a stadium to the standard that we want it to be."
Work started at the Lynn Road site in August.
- 1 Teenager, 16, threatened young couple with screwdriver in park
- 2 Abandoned mooring could cost £50,000 to replace, says council
- 3 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 4 Town rallies in fight for new hospital
- 5 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 6 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 7 Knife attack man jailed for 10 years over £20 'debt'
- 8 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 9 Not breaking news: Vicar with a vision, illegal fishing, workhouses and fork theft
- 10 Wisbech nightspot up for sale for £410,000
Clearing has been carried out for a car park and pitch.
Larham said: "The club has had to delay things until we knew what was happening with this grant.
"Securing this funding is essentially the green light to allow us to push through with plans for the stadium and I expect things will pick up quite rapidly now."
He added: "The way the economy is at the moment, there is a lot less money around and we really didn't know if the application would be successful so this is a massive boost for us.
"It's very difficult to say when the stadium will be ready, but we're hoping it will be done in time for next season.