Wisbech St Mary boss Duke expects ‘bags of goals’ after landing youngster Jack Friend
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech St Mary boss Arran Duke has added another exciting talent to his ranks.
Former Peterborough United prospect Jack Friend has made the switch from Wisbech Town to Beechings Close after his departure from the UCL Premier League side on Friday (October 21).
Friend, who notched eight goals during his second spell at the Fenmen – including consecutive hat-tricks – will take his place in Duke’s squad for the villagers’ Hinchingbrooke Cup tie with Stewart and Lloyds Corby tomorrow night.
“I’m delighted with the signing,” said Duke. “He has real quality and I’m sure he will score bags of goals when he gets going.
“It’s a big, big signing and I hope to add at least one more to the squad in the next few days. It’s a very exciting time at the club.”
Duke also admitted his men weren’t at the races in their 3-0 Thurlow Nunn Division One defeat to AFC Sudbury Reserves.
The Suffolk side completed their league double over St Mary on Saturday and Duke conceded that his players looked tired after also playing during the week.
- 1 Teenage motorcyclist dies after BMW crash
- 2 Man taken to hospital after 'welfare' concerns
- 3 Inquest concludes 'quiet and happy' teenager took own life
- 4 Former Wisbech mayor Aigars Balsevics charged with rape
- 5 Dashcam appeal after three die in three-vehicle A1 crash
- 6 Cup winners, bumper crowds and an ex-England star amongst Fenmen success
- 7 Teenager, 19, on County Drug Lines heroin and crack cocaine charge
- 8 Dealer flees on foot leaving drugs, cash and his bike behind
- 9 Donkeys' grassland could be replaced with seven homes
- 10 Fatal crash blocks A1M in Cambridgeshire
“It was a poor performance from us on Saturday,” he said. “We never got going against a very organised and young side and we were punished.
“I kept with all but two of the players that won the game over at Diss Town and that back-fired. They looked very tired and I’ll freshen things up for tomorrow night’s tie. Hopefully we can put Saturday behind us with a victory.”