Wisbech Speed Skaters go medal mad in the Midlands
- Credit: Archant
There was a gold rush for Wisbech Speed Skaters in Birmingham last weekend.
The town’s band of talented skaters travelled to the Midlands to the city’s Wheels race track, and four members sped to gold medals on a successful weekend.
The day began in glorious sunshine, and the results reflected the weather for Wisbech as Eve McInerney, Flynn McGurk and Dylan Taylor all scooped the top prizes in their respective categories.
Warren Eve gained a respectable fourth place in Category Five, while six-year-old Arthur Buckler, Jo Tidman and James Garwell all took bronzes in their categories.
The heavens opened for the age category races in the afternoon, but the rain didn’t dampen Eve McInerney’s spirit and she eased to victory in her race.
You may also want to watch:
McGurk was also successful once again; taking the silver in his age category.
The main event of the day was left until last, with Mike McInerney donning his skates for the highly-coveted Keith Lee Boot event.
- 1 Election shock: Tories lose overall control of Cambridgeshire County Council
- 2 Tories retain two Wisbech seats for county council
- 3 Man on the run after stealing e-scooter from child
- 4 Two charged with Wisbech murder
- 5 Suspected drug dealers arrested in Wisbech raid
- 6 Election 2021: Wisbech West tops poll for lowest turnout
- 7 First wholetime woman firefighter in Cambs retires after 30 years
- 8 Three derelict cottages sell in auction for £122,000
- 9 Tories retain Octavia Hill ward in by election
- 10 New £1.5million Co-op store opens its doors – creating 12 local jobs
McInerney faced 25 gruelling laps – a total of 10km – in torrential rain, but began strongly and surged into the lead with four laps to go.
He fought off competition from close rival Michal Roman to take the gold, and was delighted with his achievement. He said: “It just shows you what a little hard work can achieve.
“Everybody raced brilliantly today with great results.”
The team that participated in Birmingham consisted of first-time rat racer Paris, Arthur Buckler, James Garwell, Dylan Taylor, Warren Eve, Flynn McGurk, Eve McInerney, Jo Tidman and Mike McInerney.
The team are now focussing on the outdoor British Championships in July.