Wisbech Speed Skaters begin their new season in successful style
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Speed Skaters kicked off their 2017 race season in fine form last weekend.
The local talents travelled to Derby for their first indoor race of the year and show that they will be a force to be reckoned with this term with some impressive performances.
Flynn McGurk, Dylan Taylor and Jo Tidman all sealed second place finishes in their respective categories, while Arthur Buckler went one better and triumphed in both of his races.
However, he and Warren Eve, who finished third in one race, were denied their places on the podium because of separate incidents on the track.
The team also welcomed back Lucy McInerney after a long break from the sport, and rookie racer Luke Frary who turned in an mature performance in the Men’s Masters Races in his first ever outing.
You may also want to watch:
Coach Mike McInerney said: “The team has very well today but there is still lots of hard work to do.
“We need to knuckle down and concentrate on our home race and then the British Indoor Championships in March.”
- 1 Photos show grim reality of life on the streets
- 2 Inquest opens into death of labourer, 20, who drowned
- 3 Speeding car smashes into two vehicles before driving off
- 4 Antiques dealer's collection to be sold at auction
- 5 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 6 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 7 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 8 So that's settled - Government not council will fund new school
- 9 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 10 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
The club returns to action a little closer to home on March 4; they will take to the Skaters Roller Rink in Walpole Highway.