Wisbech scrap out draw at Norwich United
RIDGEONS PREMIER DIVISION Norwich United 0 Wisbech Town 0 A DRAW was probably a fair result in a game of little quality with few chances.Referee James Turner controversially disallowed Jordan Blyth s 62nd-minute strike, adjudging that Tom Youngs had han
RIDGEONS PREMIER DIVISION
Norwich United 0 Wisbech Town 0
A DRAW was probably a fair result in a game of little quality with few chances.
Referee James Turner controversially disallowed Jordan Blyth's 62nd-minute strike, adjudging that Tom Youngs had handled the ball after the ball had hit the striker after Wisbech keeper Alex Street had dropped the ball.
You may also want to watch:
It denied the Planters the chance to move up to seventh place in the table.
The first half saw Lee Hunter heading narrowly over the bar from Neil Bugdale's cross after 10 minutes.
- 1 Businessman slams council’s coronavirus grants in explosive live rant
- 2 Woman, 78, suffers horrific injuries after e-scooter hit-and-run
- 3 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 4 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 5 Fleeing heroin dealer rams police car but they get him in the end
- 6 Two men with links to Cottenham on 'most wanted' list
- 7 Hairdressing student is best of 1,000 after winning national competition
- 8 Widow of High Court judge, 77, charged with historical sexual abuse
- 9 Fly-tipped sofa second reported incident this week
- 10 'Police repeatedly failed me' over noisy neighbour saga, claims resident
Wisbech had the better chances, Billy Smith firing wide from 20 yards, Stuart Cobb was denied by a combination of Nathan Pauling and Darren Coe and Pauling pushed wide a Lewis Thompson shot that was heading for the top corner.
The Planters improved after the break and Fenman substitute Kevin Leggett denied Hunter a chance from Steve Shipley's through ball. Shipley then lobbed over the bar after Matty Robinson's shot was blocked.
The introduction of Damian Hilton caused problems for the visitors defence and after a good combination on the right between Hunter and Shipley, Hilton's header just eluded Youngs.
Tom Jeal's throw was flicked on by Hilton and Gavin Frost's overhead kick rattled back off Street's woodwork.
Jeal released Hilton on the left and Street had to react quickly to deny Hunter reaching Hilton's pass.
At the other end Scott Cubberley's corner flew across the face of goal but it was the Planters who looked the more threatening and Bugdale's 90th-minute shot was deflected for a corner. Pauling was forced into a good save from Cubberley deep into injury time.
After the game Manager Paul Chick said "We lacked quality especially in the first half and it's two points lost rather than one gained.
"I don't understand why the referee has disallowed the goal and I thought we had a good shout for a penalty".
Norwich United: Pauling, Shipley, T Jeal, Frost, Wilson, Coe, Youngs, Robinson (Squires 69), Blyth (Hilton 64), Hunter, Bugdale. Unused Subs: McCabe, Bensley, Nower.
Wisbech Town: Street, Smith, Yong, Cousins, Reeve (Leggett 23), King, Thompson (Eady 80), Defty, Cubberley, Jimson, Cobb (White 70). Unused Sub: Pease.