Wisbech scrap out draw at Norwich United
RIDGEONS PREMIER DIVISION Norwich United 0 Wisbech Town 0 A DRAW was probably a fair result in a game of little quality with few chances.Referee James Turner controversially disallowed Jordan Blyth s 62nd-minute strike, adjudging that Tom Youngs had han
RIDGEONS PREMIER DIVISION
Norwich United 0 Wisbech Town 0
A DRAW was probably a fair result in a game of little quality with few chances.
Referee James Turner controversially disallowed Jordan Blyth's 62nd-minute strike, adjudging that Tom Youngs had handled the ball after the ball had hit the striker after Wisbech keeper Alex Street had dropped the ball.
It denied the Planters the chance to move up to seventh place in the table.
The first half saw Lee Hunter heading narrowly over the bar from Neil Bugdale's cross after 10 minutes.
- 1 Chip shop’s new platter dish ‘The Great Gordon’ tribute to late founder
- 2 Man, 37, named as A14 death crash victim
- 3 Two vehicles in ditches after crash on A141 between March and Guyhirn
- 4 Fraudster rented out homes for cannabis factories worth over £300k
- 5 Paddleboarder dies after getting into difficulty on river
- 6 ‘We should be offered compensation’ - Campaigner's plea to Steve Barclay
- 7 Wisbech based Alan Hudson centre receives third outstanding award
- 8 Man suspected of touching child outside supermarket
- 9 ‘Strange looking candy floss...’ seized during police patrol
- 10 Health secretary to investigate financial redress for mesh-injured
Wisbech had the better chances, Billy Smith firing wide from 20 yards, Stuart Cobb was denied by a combination of Nathan Pauling and Darren Coe and Pauling pushed wide a Lewis Thompson shot that was heading for the top corner.
The Planters improved after the break and Fenman substitute Kevin Leggett denied Hunter a chance from Steve Shipley's through ball. Shipley then lobbed over the bar after Matty Robinson's shot was blocked.
The introduction of Damian Hilton caused problems for the visitors defence and after a good combination on the right between Hunter and Shipley, Hilton's header just eluded Youngs.
Tom Jeal's throw was flicked on by Hilton and Gavin Frost's overhead kick rattled back off Street's woodwork.
Jeal released Hilton on the left and Street had to react quickly to deny Hunter reaching Hilton's pass.
At the other end Scott Cubberley's corner flew across the face of goal but it was the Planters who looked the more threatening and Bugdale's 90th-minute shot was deflected for a corner. Pauling was forced into a good save from Cubberley deep into injury time.
After the game Manager Paul Chick said "We lacked quality especially in the first half and it's two points lost rather than one gained.
"I don't understand why the referee has disallowed the goal and I thought we had a good shout for a penalty".
Norwich United: Pauling, Shipley, T Jeal, Frost, Wilson, Coe, Youngs, Robinson (Squires 69), Blyth (Hilton 64), Hunter, Bugdale. Unused Subs: McCabe, Bensley, Nower.
Wisbech Town: Street, Smith, Yong, Cousins, Reeve (Leggett 23), King, Thompson (Eady 80), Defty, Cubberley, Jimson, Cobb (White 70). Unused Sub: Pease.