Wisbech Rugby Club Under-10s shine at Prima Cup in good weekend for youth sides
WISBECH Rugby Club’s Under-10s have put in an impressive performance at the prestigious Prima Cup.
The youngsters narrowly missed out on a spot in the quarter finals at the Swaffham tournament, which was organised by Premier League side the Leicester Tigers and brought together the best youth sides from Essex, Suffolk, Norfolk and Cambridgeshire.
In a tough pool, Wisbech were beaten 25-0 by a strong Wymondham team before recording a thrilling draw with Holt.
Frank Etherington and Cameron Finlay - who ran the length of the pitch to score - both crashed over for tries in the 10-10 tie.
Tries from Finlay Wilcox and a second of the day for Etherington helped Wisbech to a win over Swaffham in their final game, but the youngsters missed out on the quarter finals due to the difference in tries scored.
Elsewhere Wisbech Colts were back on fine form as they cruised to a 38-23 victory over Swaffham.
Tries from Nick Thompsett, Kerrie McMullen, Ollie Lake, Nathan Goodale, Geoff Crosbie and Richard Crosbie were the highlights in a fantastic team performance. Man of the match was prop forward Kerrie McMullen.
- 1 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 2 Crowds watch as Wisbech lights up for Christmas
- 3 'White van man' crashes into rail bridge
- 4 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 5 New £566k convenience store opens creating 12 jobs
- 6 Council’s final meeting of 2021 to include minute’s silence for those lost
- 7 Auditor who fell ill on eve of farmgate report not returning to council
- 8 Family's tribute to 'much-loved' and 'fun-loving' A1198 crash victim
- 9 Village life, magistrate in court for failing to clear snow and forced landing
- 10 Health chiefs call for action amid rise in sexually transmitted infections
The colts train at Wisbech Rugby Club on Wednesday evenings at 6pm and Sunday mornings at 10am. Any interested players are welcome to come along or contact the coach, Andy Bolden, on 07899956953.
Wisbech under-13s bounced back from four straight defeats with a morale-boosting 17-7 win over rivals Spalding.
Two tries from Harry Tysterman and a score from Jacob Chapman secured the victory, with club ties awarded to players of the day, Ed Harwin and Dan Crossley.
Wisbech Grammar School’s first XV also tasted success by thrashing Gresham’s School 40-10.
The students were led by an inspired Vincent Hart who ran in a superb hat-trick in a feast of tries for the home side.