Wisbech Rugby Club’s youth sides learn lessons to enjoy successful tournament
WISBECH Rugby Club Under-10s proved they had learned lessons from their appearance at the Prima Cup last week by putting in a convincing performance on Sunday.
The youngsters powered their way to two crushing wins at a tournament in Fakenham, beating the hosts 50-5 and Swaffham 25-0.
Ruthless defending saw Wisbech draw 0-0 with Bury St Edmonds A, while a strong Bury B team were the only side to defeat them with a 10-5 victory.
The whole team put in strong performances led by the day’s try scorers, Thomas Nunn, Luke Green, Cameron Finlay, Ethan Gutherie, Ben Fouracre, Oliver Simpson, Frank Etherington and Finlay Wilcox. Player of the week was Ben Fouracre who put in his best ever performance for the club.
Wisbech under-9s were in similar form, scoring two wins and one narrow defeat.
A hat-trick from Lewis Theobald and a try from Henry Mair helped them to a 20-5 victory over a Bury side, while another Mair score was not enough to avoid defeat in their next game.
Their final game saw Mair continue his scintillating form with two more tries, with Jack Tremain (2), Finley Murdoch and Elliot McBean-Wills also crashing over to seal a 30-5 victory over Swaffham.
- 1 Both drivers seriously injured after head on crash
- 2 Developer going flat out to convert former post office
- 3 Arson arrest after Wisbech blaze
- 4 Crews tackle blaze in Wisbech
- 5 Top roles confirmed at council owned housing firm
- 6 Hospitals raise car parking costs for first time in six years
- 7 Captured Cambridgeshire man 'charged with mercenary activities' by Russia
- 8 Wisbech family discover 'ultimate side hustle'
- 9 Stress, anxiety, mental health and depression prompt rise in days off
- 10 ‘Thank you, my NHS, you were simply amazing’
Wisbech under-8s had a harder day as they were beaten in their four matches, despite Jack Fowler amassing eight tries for the tournament. Other scorers included Sam Howat, Ewan Samways, Fabian Simpson, Ben Wilcox and Anton McNab.
Billy Nurse scored three tries as Wisbech under-7s played out two draws and a defeat. Freddie Riddington (2) and Joshua Bell (2) were the other scorers.