Wisbech Rugby Club’s youngsters start season successfully against local rivals
WISBECH Under-10s made a successful start to their season with resounding victories over local rivals Peterborough and West Norfolk on Sunday.
The club’s mini’s section recorded the wins as they played their first rugby matches with contested scrums and lineouts at Chapel Road.
Try scorers Cameron Finlay (2), Thomas Nunn, Oliver Simpson and Frank Etherington helped Wisbech beat West Norfolk 25-15.
This win was followed up with a convincing 40-10 defeat of Peterborough, with Luke Green (2), Cameron Finlay (2), Archie Lyall (2), Thomas Nunn and Frank Etherington the scorers.
New players Lucca Light and Finlay Mead both equipped themselves well in their first ever rugby matches.
Player of the week was Ethan Guthrie for his solid defensive tackling.
Wisbech Under-7s also enjoyed their first two games of the season.
- 1 Leslie 'faster, fitter, happier' after losing 10 stone in four months
- 2 'Wide range of people' will benefit from village homes, say developers
- 3 Woman in court over town pub burglary
- 4 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 5 Princess hears first hand account of modern slavery
- 6 Princess Eugenie on mission to stop modern slavery
- 7 Rachael takes bronze at national hairdressing competition
- 8 Multiple emergency services at scene after B1098 crash
- 9 Family pleased with 'huge reaction' thanks to charity Christmas lights
- 10 Primary school plans for new town take step forward
The team put in brave performances, losing by seven tries to four against Peterborough and seven tries to three against West Norfolk.
Tries were scored by Jenson Nunn (3), Billy Nurse (2), Oliver Mann and William Griffin.
The Under-7s will play their next game on Sunday 10th at home to St Ives.