Wisbech Rugby Club’s teams crash to defeat as injuries and absentees take their toll
IT was a miserable weekend for Wisbech Rugby Club who struggled with injuries and a lack of players as both outfits crashed to defeat.
The first team - missing several key faces - lost ground in their London North-East Division Three relegation battle after a 27-13 defeat to South Woodham Ferrers at Harecroft Road.
Wisbech took the lead through a Mark Laws penalty but spent most of the first half on the back foot as they defended valiantly. However, pressure eventually told and the visitors took a 15-3 lead into the interval.
After the break Ferrers stretched their advantage to 22-3 but Wisbech scored a converted try and a penalty to give the scoreline a more respectable feel. Ferrers scored another late try.
Scrum-half Jack Malkin and skipper Shane Vickers were superb for the side whose afternoon was marred further when Tom Paybody - returning from the treatment table - picked up a shoulder injury which will probably rule him out for the rest of the season.
It was even worse for the seconds who, despite a brave effort, got thumped 70-0 against Beccles II. Absentees hit the second-string hard but the 11 players who did turn-out gave their all even though it was inevitable that the hosts would run out comfortable victors.
Both sides will be looking to bounce back this weekend with the firsts travelling to Upminster and the seconds hosting Norwich Medics.
- 1 Teenage motorcyclist dies after BMW crash
- 2 Man taken to hospital after 'welfare' concerns
- 3 Inquest concludes 'quiet and happy' teenager took own life
- 4 Former Wisbech mayor Aigars Balsevics charged with rape
- 5 Dashcam appeal after three die in three-vehicle A1 crash
- 6 Cup winners, bumper crowds and an ex-England star amongst Fenmen success
- 7 Teenager, 19, on County Drug Lines heroin and crack cocaine charge
- 8 Dealer flees on foot leaving drugs, cash and his bike behind
- 9 Donkeys' grassland could be replaced with seven homes
- 10 Fatal crash blocks A1M in Cambridgeshire
• Wisbech Rugby Club Under-10s were back in action on Sunday when they hosted teams from Boston and Holt.
Despite being rusty after a six-week Christmas break the youngsters beat Holt 25-10 in their first game. Try scorers were Frank Etherington, Finlay Wilcox, Thomas Nunn, James Shelly and Cameron Finlay.
However, Holt responded by winning the second match 25-0, despite the game being more even than the scoreline suggests.
In the final game Wisbech beat Boston 20-5 with tries from Cameron Finlay, Oliver Simpson and James Shelly (2).
Player of the week for the under-10s was James Shelley.
• Other results: Wisbech Under-7s 1 Holt Under-7s & 8s 4; Wisbech Under-7s 1 Holt Under-7s & 8s 7; Wisbech Under-8s 10 Boston Under-8s 6; Wisbech Under-8s 7 Holt Under-8s 7.