Wisbech Rugby Club’s senior sides crash to heavy defeats as juniors taste success
WISBECH Rugby Club endured another disappointing weekend as both senior sides were beaten by more than 40 points.
A Mark Laws penalty was the only positive for the first team, who were beaten 43-3 by mid-table Upminster.
Wisbech, who are eight points adrift at the bottom of the London North-East Division Three League, will look to reignite their relegation fight on Saturday when they entertain Campion at Harecroft Road.
The second team suffered a similar fate, as injuries and missing players left them with only 13 players. They were thumped 45-0 by Norwich Medics but will look to bounce back when they travel to Diss III on Saturday.
• With the senior sides struggling, Wisbech junior rugby stars did find some success as they travelled to Holt.
The under-7s were in fine form, with tries from Jenson Nunn, Joshua Bell, Oliver Mann and Oliver Murdoch helping them to two fantastic wins.
Jack Fowler scored four tries to lead the under-8s to a stunning victory over Holt. Other try-scorers on a successful day were Sam Howat, Ewan Samways, Ben Wilcox, Alex Jackson, Fabian Simpson, George Howat and Nathan McKenzie.
- 1 Police 'increasingly concerned' for man missing since early hours yesterday
- 2 £150,000 splashpad to open in Wisbech
- 3 Man, 28, dies after truck and lorries crash on A47
- 4 Andre Rieu brings new summer concert to Cambridgeshire cinemas
- 5 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 6 Three rail and bus strikes in London and the East this week
- 7 NHS staff praised for ‘virtually eliminating’ long waiting times
- 8 Driver cleared by reason of insanity over death of Louis Thorold
- 9 Arson causes fire to rip through derelict building
- 10 Painter who captured town before 1978 floods finishes 44 years on
The under-10s were unlukcy not to come away with better results as they secured one draw but two losses. Finlay Wilcox and Cameron Finlay both scored tries, and Archie Lyall, who had his best game of the season, was named as player of the week.