Wisbech Rugby Club hoping to attract fresh youth talent
WISBECH Rugby Club are looking for children to join their youth teams as they hope to continue last season’s successes.
More than 140 youngsters from Wisbech and the surrounding villages turned out for the club’s eight mini-teams last season and enjoyed a trip to Premier League and European Champions Leicester Tigers for a training session and pre-match pitch walk.
The Under-9s side came runners-up in last year’s Cambridgeshire Cup final and the club are keen to continue their policy of developing talented young players in the area.
Chris Finlay, from Wisbech Rugby Club, said: “The great thing about rugby is that it is a team sport and suits kids of all shapes and sizes because there is a position to suit everyone in a rugby team.
“What we want most is commitment and determination as rugby is a contact sport and you need to be willing to get stuck in.
You may also want to watch:
“There is also the social side of rugby with players making new friends and joining in with the club’s great social events we organise.”
The club’s youth set-up caters for seven to 17 year olds and there is no need to be an experienced player to get involved.
- 1 'Horrific ordeal' of saleswoman tied up, restrained and sexually assaulted
- 2 ‘You’re trespassing’ - What happened when we gave Matt Hancock QEH petition
- 3 Businessman slams council’s coronavirus grants in explosive live rant
- 4 Fly-tipped sofa second reported incident this week
- 5 Boy, 16, found with screwdriver in town park
- 6 Two men with links to Cottenham on 'most wanted' list
- 7 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 8 Woman, 78, suffers horrific injuries after e-scooter hit-and-run
- 9 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 10 'I hit brick walls' says guardian fighting for child mental health support
Training takes place most Sunday mornings at the club’s Harecroft Road ground.
Visit www.wisbechrugby.com for further details.