Wisbech pool stars reach semi-final of Under-18 World Championships in France
TWO pool stars from Wisbech have returned from the Under-18 World Championships in France - after being knocked out in the semi-final.
James Ripley, 17, and Ben Teun, 18, were included in the five man 8-ball pool team for England, who were denied an appearance in the final by a strong Welsh side.
Ripley also suffered the heartbreak of another semi-final defeat, after being knocked out in the singles tournament one step before the biggest rack of his career.
Ripley said: “It was a great experience for me to be playing against the best players in the world.
“But to be honest I didn’t even play that well. I had a bit of a nightmare with my cue and I had to get a French man to put a new tip on it. I feel like I could have done better but I’ll take that experience and move on.”
You may also want to watch:
It was the first time the pair had travelled overseas to represent their country on the baize. The contest was held in a huge arena in Limoges.
“They had stands on the site so people could watch and a balcony,” said Ripley. “There were loads of people watching - literally hundreds. I will admit I was a bit nervous.”
- 1 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 2 New independent funeral service opens in Wisbech
- 3 Man on the run after stealing e-scooter from child
- 4 Suspected drug dealers arrested in Wisbech raid
- 5 Two charged with Wisbech murder
- 6 Tories retain two Wisbech seats for county council
- 7 Villagers 'clap for Dr Nik' to celebrate mayoralty victory
- 8 Drink driver TWICE rammed off-duty officers' car
- 9 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 10 Wisbech boss confident of upturn in fortunes thanks to new-look squad
The teenagers, who also compete in the Wisbech pool leagues, hope to continue playing for the national side.