Wisbech pool player achieves lifelong dream after England A call-up
A POOL player’s lifelong dream has finally been realised after he was called up to represent the England A-team.
Darren McCarthy, 39, has played in the national side’s B-team for the past 12 years. But after thinking his chance of stepping up to the senior side had all but disappeared the Wisbech ace was handed a surprise place in the squad for this month’s World Masters.
He joins fellow Wisbech-based stars Eric Mohammed and Andy Lucas in competing amongst the game’s elite players.
McCarthy said: “I’m over the moon as it’s all I’ve ever wanted to do and all that hard work has finally paid off.
“It’s nice to have been recognised because I’ve been on the verge of the A-team for 10 years. I’m not nervous about it, I’m just excited.
You may also want to watch:
“I play with or against Eric and Andy all the time so it’ll be a bit of a jolly boys outing.”
Sixteen teams will compete in the A-team section with the semi-finals likely to be broadcast live on Eurosport.
- 1 Police swoop on Chatteris housing estate following machete threat
- 2 ‘You’re trespassing’ - What happened when we gave Matt Hancock QEH petition
- 3 'Horrific ordeal' of saleswoman tied up, restrained and sexually assaulted
- 4 Rainbow alliance set out their stall for Cambridgeshire
- 5 Dame Mary Archer defence witness in sexual abuse trial of judge's widow
- 6 Businessman slams council’s coronavirus grants in explosive live rant
- 7 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 8 Two men with links to Cottenham on 'most wanted' list
- 9 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 10 Fly-tipped sofa second reported incident this week
Scott Chambers from Wisbech will also appear at the event in Bridlington, North Yorkshire, which begins on April 24, for the England B-team.