Wisbech pile on pressure

NE14 HOCKEY EAST MEN S PREMIER DIVISION B Wisbech Town 1st XI 5 Colchester 1st XI 4 WISBECH returned to winning ways to close the gap on leaders Peterborough to three points to set up a grandstand finale to the season. Town resisted a late fight-back aft



Wisbech Town 1st XI 5 Colchester 1st XI 4

WISBECH returned to winning ways to close the gap on leaders Peterborough to three points to set up a grandstand finale to the season.

Town resisted a late fight-back after dominating the first half and storming into a 5-1 lead, early in the second.

Colchester went 1-0 up when they scored at the second attempt from a short corner. Wisbech struck straight back when Dan Martell smashed the ball in from the top of the circle.

Most Read

Martell then beat five players and the goalkeeper before shooting against the post and Sam Markille knocked in the rebound for 2-1.

Markille scored a deft reverse stick flick over the keeper and Joe Melton scored from a short corner on the stroke of half-time.

The second half saw Wisbech grab an early fifth, Martell scoring again from a tight angle.

A breakaway and a penalty saw Colchester pull it back to 5-3.

Indiscipline slipped as Wisbech's Drew Harvey and a Colchester player were sent off.

Martell was yellow-carded late-on for swearing.

Colchester pulled a goal back from a short corner in the last minute but there wasn't enough time left for them to capitalise further.

Wisbech visit West Herts tomorrow and kick off at 3pm.

Long Sutton 1st XI 3

St Neots 1st XI 4

TWENTY minutes of first-half madness cost Sutton the points in this entertaining clash.

Gary Hales scrambled home a loose ball through the St Neots keeper's legs to put the hosts 1-0 up after five minutes.

Danny Sisson was picked out unmarked at the back post after a slick move and knocked in his third goal in two games to double the advantage.

A Sutton attack broke down in midfield, and a through-ball caught the Sutton defence square. The speedy St Neots forward rounded Jake Loweth in the Sutton goal and slotted home unchallenged.

This gave the visiting side confidence and they were soon on equal terms - a well-worked short corner found their striker to deflect home.

Sutton were rocking and two further goals - a penalty corner and a deflected hit from just outside the D - sent the home team into half-time reeling.

Following a stern team talk, Sutton began to play again; dominating possession and pressurising the visitor's D.

A Jeremy Watt penalty corner strike with 10 minutes to go gave Sutton hope, but an inspired second half display from the St Neot's keeper assured the visiting side of all three points.

R.J. Wilson (Electrical) Man of the Match: James Harrison.

Sutton face top of the table City of Peterborough 2nds on Saturday.

The match, at Bretton Gate, starts at 11.30am.



Market Deeping 1st XI 6

Wisbech Town 2nd XI 1

GARY Freear scored with a short corner before leaders market Deeping had touched the ball, but three goals in the last 15 minutes saw the hosts win comfortably.

Wisbech created several chances and were unlucky to be 2-1 down at half-time.

The second half was harder as Deeping started to string some passes together and press the Wisbech defence.

The resistance finally broke and Deeping took control.

Wisbech play Rutland 1st XI at home tomorrow and start at 2.30pm.


Wisbech Town 4th XI 4

Wisbech Town 5th XI 3

THIS thrilling game between two Wisbech teams saw the fourth team beat the fifths for the second time this season.

The fourths came flying out of the blocks and were soon 2-0 up with goals from Tom Peggs and Orlando Prestige.

The fifths scored a deflected goal and Adam Fairbrother then had a chance to equalise but a poor penalty flick was easily saved by Kevin Shippey.

Goals from Peter Symonds and Robin Johnson saw Wisbech fourths lead 4-1 at half-time.

The fifths came out fighting in the second half and Aaron Cobb made it 4-2 five minutes after the re-start.

Fairbrother made amends for his error by blasting his second penalty attempt into the top corner.

Cobb had a chance to equalise in the last 10 minutes but shot wide.

Wisbech 5th had only one chance in the last 10 minutes of the game but Cobb's shot just went wide.

The fifth team's Man of the Match award went to Mark Jones


Wisbech Town 3rd XI 2

Cambridge City 5th XI 3

A LAST-MINUTE short-corner goal saw City leapfrog Wisbech into ninth place.

A scrambled Jimmy Turner goal gave the hosts a 1-0 half-time lead.

After City equalised, Turner restored Wisbech's advantage but were then left kicking themselves at failing to convert several chances as the visitors scored twice more.

Wisbech Man of the Match: Jordan Trundle.

Wisbech are away to Market Deeping second team tomorrow.


Newmarket Town 1st XI 5

Wisbech Town 2nd XI 1

SUPERB goalkeeping denied Wisbech two early goals but clinical finishing saw leaders Newmarket go 3-0 up within 10 minutes.

Wisbech dug deep to keep Newmarket out for the rest of the half, but were 4-1 down within a minute of the second.

Wisbech battled on with Lou Sandall breaking down the Newmarket in midfield and Georgie, Gilly and Player of the Match Katie Dunn combining well to build attacks. Their efforts were rewarded by a Shelley Jones goal.

Several point blank saves by keeper Hannah Culy, who also faced off a penalty flick, kept Newmarket at bay until they finally forced home their fifth.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter