Wisbech on the Brink of Glory

PUBLISHED: 10:10 01 April 2008 | UPDATED: 08:23 02 June 2010

NE14 HOCKEY EAST PREMIER DIVISION B Long Sutton 1st XI 4 Wisbech Town 1st XI 9 WISBECH are now just a game away from claiming the title after thrashing local rivals Long Sutton in an open and flowing game. They host bottom side Redbridge and Ilford at 2.3


Long Sutton 1st XI 4 Wisbech Town 1st XI 9

WISBECH are now just a game away from claiming the title after thrashing local rivals Long Sutton in an open and flowing game.

They host bottom side Redbridge and Ilford at 2.30pm and look almost certain to claiming the championship.

Saturday's game started evenly with Wisbech edging possession.

They created a couple of early chances but were thwarted by the Long Sutton goalkeeper.

Wisbech broke the deadlock after 10 minutes.

Good advantage from the umpire allowed the ball to reach Sam Markille.

The former Long Sutton player finished well for his 36th goal of the season and it was appropriate that he should be the scorer of Wisbech's 100th league goal of the season.

Long Sutton came back at Wisbech and soon equalised as some poor marking in the circle left Sutton with an easy chance.

Wisbech went 2-1 up after another piece of good umpiring allowing them to continue for Dan Martell to score.

The hosts levelled again with a goal that was very similar to their first.

Wisbech were under pressure and their title hopes were in jeopardy.

Their response was five quick goals either side of half-time which put the game beyond Sutton.

Brad Apted, Joe Melton and Drew Harvey notched goals along with seconds for Markille and Martell.

Wisbech had become dominant and their quick, flowing passing was destroying Long Sutton who seemed mesmerised by their local rivals' skills.

The hosts fought back with two more goals, both the result of poor Wisbech defending.

The danger signs were there and again Wisbech responded in style with Markille and Martell completing deserved hat-tricks to take the score to 9-4.

The Long Sutton keeper had been in fine form throughout the match to keep Wisbech's score down to single figures.


Wisbech Town 2nd XI 6 March Town 2nd XI 3

A GARY Freear hat-trick helped Wisbech claim bragging rights over neighbours March.

The score was 2-2 at half-time but Wisbech dominated the second half to secure victory.

Jody Betts scored twice and Robin Johnson added his name to the scoresheet for Wisbech, while Andrew Wright scored twice and Charlie Saunders, once, for March.


Wisbech Town 1st XI 4 Letchworth 1st XI 0

WISBECH made an amazing start, putting pressure on the Letchworth defence and creating some great attacking play.

Wisbech knew that they had to win this game to secure their place in the East Premier League with up to six teams being relegated this year and looked to be in total control, with Heidi Smithee scoring the first of the four goals with some fabulous play down the left wing.

Letchworth stepped up their game in the last 10 minutes of the half but the Wisbech defence of Ali Mason, Nat Ward, Jodi Peggs, Laura Overland and Kerry Smith soaked up the pressure well and dealt with it all calmly and collectively.

Wisbech started the second half with every confidence and were on top form.

They passed the ball around superbly and created a string of attacking play.

The second goal came from a mass of players and Mel Ludlam managed to slot the ball home. After some extremely hard work from Erika Burrell she created a short corner and put the ball away on the far post.

The final goal from the on form Wisbech came from Sue Slator who put an aerial over the Letchworth keeper.

Player of the match was Nat Ward.

Wisbech squad: Captain Mel Ludlam, Vice Captain Sue Slator, Ali mason, Jodi Peggs, Nat Ward, Laura Overland, Steph Hanlon, Erika Burrell, Claire Apted, Jane Peggs and Heidi Smithee.


Wisbech Town 2nd XI 0 Newmarket Town 1st XI 2

WISBECH made the league leaders look average in their last league game of the season.

Wisbech spent most of the first half camped in the Newmarket half but excellent defending from Newmarket's sweeper saw most attacks foiled.

Town also failed to capitalise on numerous penalty corners and it was 0-0 at half-time.

Good control of midfield by Lou Sandall and strong running from Jo Gomme, Shelley and Emma Jones prevented Newmarket from settling and dynamo player of the match Steph Hanlon tackled back superbly and consistently robbed balls off the sticks of Newmarket players, who struggled to find their top of the league form.

Youngsters Jenny Martell and Hannah Strickle put in fine performances, and solid defence from Fiona Shields and captain Kat Doyle looked as though Wisbech would take a share of the points.

But two lapses of concentration late in the second half let Newmarket in to scoop all three points when they had looked lucky to be taking one.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Wisbech Standard. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Wisbech Standard