HOCKEY: Wisbech Men’s First Team v Old Southendian: 3-4
- Credit: Archant
Southend broke the deadlock early while Wisbech where still asleep.
However, Wisbech woke up, and could only score one goal during their period of good play, when captain Jason Mallett hit the ball into the ‘D’ and Gary Freear nicked the ball into the goal.
Soon after Southend scored two quick goals after some poor defending to take a 3-1 lead at half time.
After the interval Wisbech’s defending was tight but one lapse in concentration led to them conceding the forth.
This kick started Wisbech into gear and they started to play some good passing hockey putting the pressure on.
You may also want to watch:
Danny Haynes rounded the keeper only to be taken out by the keeper, denying him of an easy chance to bring one back.
With the clock ticking down, Wisbech scored a second with a well worked short corner deflected in by Danny Haynes.
- 1 Pervert filmed himself having sex with girl, 14, and then shared video online
- 2 Burger entrepreneur excited to reopen as lockdown eases on May 17
- 3 'Disbelief’ for disability centre after staff member’s scooter is stolen
- 4 Prison sentence for man who brutally attacked his partner
- 5 MP Steve Barclay visits £14m A47 Guyhirn roundabout upgrade works
- 6 ‘This is not a puppy farm’ says breeder in response to planning objections
- 7 Class B drug factory discovered following British Gas search warrant
- 8 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after death of woman in her 70s
- 9 Defeated Tory hits out at ‘toxic brand’ and says ‘James Palmer had it coming’
- 10 Two boys, aged 12 and 14, arrested after 3am service station burglary
Jason Esser then missed an open goal from another short hitting the defender on the line.
A further short corner was awarded and Dom Stannard finally injected the ball to the correct player, the ball was slipped left and a Jason Esser slap was deflected in by Daniel Martel.
During the final few minutes Wisbech could not carve out a chance to complete a comeback and take a point, however, their fighting spirit allows them to keep their heads high going into next weeks game. Final score 3-4.
Man of the Match was Charlie Baxter.