Wisbech man named junior coach of the year
WISBECH Cricket Club s Dominic Stannard has been awarded the Cambridgeshire Cricket Board Association s Young Coach of the Year 2009 Award. The 20-year-old from Wisbech receives his award at the association s annual meeting. Stannard is Wisbech Cricket C
WISBECH Cricket Club's Dominic Stannard has been awarded the Cambridgeshire Cricket Board Association's Young Coach of the Year 2009 Award.
The 20-year-old from Wisbech receives his award at the association's annual meeting.
Stannard is Wisbech Cricket Club's youth development officer.
He coaches the under-14s and under-15s teams and plays for the seniors' second team.
Judges were impressed at the way Stannard has played an instrumental part in the Fenland club's dramatic growth, from having two teams and 25 members to six teams and around 100 members in the space of four years.
The club has gone from having three to 14 qualified coaches in that time.
- 1 Town road to remain closed following serious crash
- 2 WEIRD NORFOLK: The local shoe shop haunted by a 'one-legged poltergeist'
- 3 Florida Ice Effect phenomenon could put drivers at risk
- 4 Cyclists call bicycle plates and insurance 'unenforceable and unworkable'
- 5 Police 'increasingly concerned' for man missing since early hours yesterday
- 6 Man, 28, dies after truck and lorries crash on A47
- 7 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 8 £150,000 splashpad to open in Wisbech
- 9 Charity needs over 200 more volunteer vaccinators across Cambridgeshire
- 10 Cambridgeshire students set to receive their A-level exam results
Wisbech Cricket Club chairman Gavin Plume said: "I can't describe how much Dominic deserves this recognition for his coaching work, and he is typically modest about receiving the award, which is not only a huge achievement for him personally, but also for the club."
Stannard has received a certificate and he will be given the opportunity to spend a day with a professional coach at a ground to be decided.
Stannard said: "I've heard that this day may be held at Lords, which would be an absolute dream come true."
He added: "This award came completely out of the blue as I didn't even now I was in contention for it.
"The board have been following what we have been achieving at the club and must have been impressed.
"There is a wonderful family atmosphere at Wisbech Cricket Club and it's great to be a part of that."
n The club will be holding a junior signing-on day on April 4 from 2pm.
This is open to boys and girls aged seven to 16.
Families are welcome and a parent or carer must be present to allow a junior to sign up for the club.